Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

What about fuses that you actually had fuse wire for? I remember them in our house in Long Eaton - if a fuse blew (I think there were only two of them), you had to find the wire and connect it between two screws on the fuse!

So, can you still buy fuse wire?

I found some old spools of the stuff (different ampheres) at the back of the outhouse when I moved in here. No idea why they were there as the house still had all the original wiring in place (Complete with curly flex etc) The fuse box was the original one too, complete with those big fuses that you just pulled out and replaced.

• 2 months later...

You may think Izal was bad, but we never had the luxury of toilet paper. We had newspaper cut into squares and hanging on a nail. You always had something to read though!

Read you say ? before or after ?

If I can find them I'll take a photo for you

wink.gif

So you did not find them Beefy?

How about a Mangle do you still have them ? , I remember it was my job to feed it & try not to get bit . And when we were rich the spin dryer that i had to sit on so it wouldnt beat the crap out of everything in the kitchen.

That brings to mind the frozen sheets on the line wintertime how would they get dry if the water was frozen, Or maybe thats what they call freeze dryed

Which also made me think of a dolly bag the blue thing

I remember the good old days [and not that long ago] of frozen washing. It had a smell all of its own as you carried it back indoors to thaw out.

I have a dolly tub in the garage but no ponch. I also have two 1970s juke boxes, one with a picture of Rory Gallagher and the Sweet on the glass. I also have an old peat cutting tool called a tushkar.

How about a Mangle do you still have them ?

I have a dolly tub in the garage but no ponch.

I can remember my grandma in Radford had a mangle, dolly tub and ponch. I was fascinated by watching her using the ponch because I could never work out exactly what it was for or what it did.

On the subject of washing equipment, in my early days at Clifton before having a washing machine we had a copper in which to do the washing. Nothing to do with the police; a large cylindrical thing, like a very primitive washing machine. I can't really remember much of what it looked like but I found this http://murfomurf.fil...lymp-copper.jpg which I think is farily similar

Fly papers.

Frozen Jubblies

5 Park Drive

5 Woodbines

Red tipped matches

120 roll film

Schoolboys wearing caps

Schoolgirls wearing straw boaters

Short trousers

Open back buses (no doors)

fizzy drinks cans that require a pointy opener

Sunecta pop home delivery van

Beer at home means Davenports.

Things hanging from telegraph wires such as: toy soldier with parachute; plimpsol; kites (home made).

Stylophones...............................although SWMBO just told me they're making a comeback.............what a nasty little noise they made, masquerading as a musical instrument!!!

SWMBO say's she will get one to accompany me on my 'Gobiron'......................a musical phenomenon, destined for Britains Got Talent?????????????? no2

Read somewhere words to effect of complaint re wrecked state of Hucknall Central after either closure or stopping of passenger service "esp as it had won so many awards for best kept station in area" as usual only passing things on so no idea if true. What is true though is I once saw an Ivo Peters film in that gaudy super 8 colour as train he was on went through I think a Somerset and Dorset station, on the immaculate platform not only was there loads of plants but a greenhouse full of ripe tomatoes!

I wonder if it was Midsomer Norton box? The station was known for its prize winning gardens. I'll have to see if I have it somewhere on VHS.