Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

The two lines (rolls) of plastic are marked out with white strips. It looks like the machine takes in the plastic (Chain driven feeder) and then I would guess that a component of some sort is placed onto the plastic and sealed so you end up with a strip of components sealed in the plastic and then possibly cut into individually wrapped components. What the component would be I have no idea.

Another thing I don't think you see any more - children's harvest festival baskets decorated with crepe paper and full of grocery goods taken to school for collection. I could be wrong...

Is it to do with Formans ?

If so I think it's a word maker thingy (Can't for the life of me recall what they're called!!)

Yes it is Beefy, it's a Monotype Caster machine that produced and composed single pieces of Letterpress lead type. I used one in my apprentice days in the late seventies. Thomas Formans may well have used them. (not T. Bailey Forman - Evening Post).

Edit: They weren't used for newsprint. Those types of machines produced whole lines of type (called a 'slug') and were produced by Linotype and Intertype.

My Apprentice Days

Here's a Linotype machine. We had two of these and an Interype at Trent Poly in the seventies. They were mostly used for newspaper work whilst the Monotype Caster and Keyboard were more for general jobbing print work.

They were all fantastic things of their day. quite amazing really.

linotype-23swr8b.jpg

So Cliff

I worked out you got a tidy sum saved up for your old age.

15 x 6d, seven and a tanner. £0.37 1/2p

Drinks on you at the next meet then :)

'Ladies curlers' made from pipe cleaners, and/or waxed bread paper, under the hairnet,or was I imagining that??

still get 'em in Boots, SWMBO puts them on our Cocker's ears, tied under the chin to stop said Cockers ears getting wet when sniffin'...................

• Upvote 1

My mum had a set of curlers that had what must have been a wax centre sealed into them. You placed them in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes , till the wax melted, and then put them in your hair , the extra heat must have helped to 'style' your hair!

Suppose this is something you don`t feel any more really.

Do you remember when you`d been playing in the snow and your hands were freezing cold under your gloves (or old socks) and your mam said, 'Don`t warm them in front of the fire - you`ll get hot-aches.' And if you did it was excruciating.

My grandchildren haven`t heard of - or felt - hot-aches. (`ot-aches). It wasn`t just a Medders thing was it?

Of course they haven't heard of hot aches...you don't get 'em sitting in front of a screen.We were out at every opportunity,the snow was a giant toy to be played with..... not having a house full of Chinese plastic crap at the time.So of course we overdid it and nearly got frostbite.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, frostbite (Hot-aches), rickets, mumps, measles, rubella, scarlet fever, whooping cough, diptheria, dysentry etc...............all the joys of our early years that today's youngsters miss out on!!

:bluespin04:

Scarlet fever was common in in 1950's, I remember Dr Keavney (Snr) saying "28 days isolation" when I got it, 4 weeks off school! but had to stay indoors, AND missed bonfire night, well I saw my pals light MY bonfire in MY garden, (Actually it persisted down real heavy all night so not that much of a miss,lol

I never ever heard the words scarlet fever when I was at school from '51 The odd kid still in leg irons from polio...but we were all innoculated against that and diptheria by the mid fifties.

During the early 80's I worked at City Hospital (Contracting) in one of the older small units with access from Hucknall Road, about 200 yards up from the main entrance. Apparently it had been a Childrens Hospital unit (pre-NHS), for kids with all the previously mentioned ailments + TB, one ward being a kind of Hospice.

At the time all old records were being disposed of (straight in to skips, no Data Protection!!) & I had a look at the ward diary/records, it was heartbreaking how many kids of all ages up to 14 yrs, had passed away from the said diseases/ailments, mostly pre/post WW2.

Obviously it all changed, for the better, after 1950 when large innocyulation programmes got underway in schools for Whooping Cough, Diptheria, Polio & TB, but I still remember some kids at school in the mids 50's with leg irons & others with nasty hacking coughs (thought to be Whooping cough) a strange & frightening sound..........................We have much to be thankful for, re' our NHS, & decisions made by politicians regarding innoculation...........

I had Scarlatina when i was a kid in the 60s. i dont remember being particularly ill with it - obviously thanks to anti biotics. Apparently Scarlatina was the less severe form of scarlet fever