Things you don't see anymore

Ricketts was very common in children who grew up during the war due to lack of vitamin D and calcium. It was the reason that milk for school children was introduced after the war - only to be later taken away by that wonderful Margaret Thatcher! Interestingly, according to some sources, Ricketts is on the rise again in the U.K.!
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

By far and away the best 'cure' for rickets is natural vitimin D , ie sunshine !

The fact that we don't (Seem to) have as much sushine these days could be the real reason for the alledged rise in ricketts cases, and not 'cause Maggie took away free school milk for over 7 year olds in 1971 !!!

By far and away the best 'cure' for rickets is natural vitimin D , ie sunshine !

Which is why the schools like Ellis pictured were designed so that the whole of the classroom fronts could be opened in summer to the 'health giving fresh air and sunshine'

That was the original intention...although during the fifties I never remember those doors ever being opened...I guess the idea had gone out of fashion by then.

233ddbc0.jpg

Going back to hotaches...I've just thought...the most obvious reason they're unheard of nowadays is that frozen little hands aren't stuck too close to naked flames as they were in our day.

i had two sets of the wax curlers brought them when i worked at little woolworths about 2 bob a set blue for the big rollers pink for the small ones and i think there was also a yellow set that was a medium size held on with white plastic clips that whent over the roller and you hair .

woolworths was in hockley so was pools for tools, moon cafe[ great meals] gillotts,roses shoe shop ,george hotel .What was the name of the grocery shop that sold lose tea /rice from big bags in front of the counter ,plus all food, tins stuff. the chap always worn a white apron, the shop was on left side going down the hill after the traffic lights ,broad st/stoney st.[lights now gone] a great shop and great service he was always very smart.

There was a greengrocers on the left nr the top as you faced town, and bottom of the hill same side, was Ashmore's. It was a hardware store, I got a lot of my bottom drawer stuff from there. A neighbour was an agent for that shop, she collected a bit of money each week and you got a 'cheque' to spend in the shop.

Going down Hockley towards Snienton, on the right was Progressive "shopacheck" in the seventies. Smedleys the butchers was further down just past Woolies. The Moon cafe was great for lunch when i worked at Barker Gate house next to the Bowling alley.

Just about facing the bottom of Hockley on Lower Parliament street was a row of retail premises that included "Sun Valley Amusements" and I think it was on the corner, a chip shop with a sit-down section that did wonderful fish'n chip lunches. Anyone know the name of that shop during the late 70s/early 80s?

I really wish I had taken photographs of Nottingham before it was demolished in the 1960s. There are so many places I cannot now remember clearly, getting confused about locations and shop names, etc..

Mail trolleys with iron wheels on the railway stations. I recall the clatter of the wheels as they trundled over the platforms.

Someone mentioned loose biscuits. There was a shop just inside the Central Market at the Glasshouse Street end that sold broken biscuits. Broken pieces used to be gathered from the large tins and placed into a single large tin for sale. We school kids used to buy them on our way home in the evenings and spoil our appetites for our tea.

Aha! Greyfriars rings bells. I used to go there from my workplace at the time (Miller Bros) and enjoy a chip lunch once a week.

Someone mentioned loose biscuits. There was a shop just inside the Central Market at the Glasshouse Street end that sold broken biscuits.

Was it Jollies or some such name? I think they had a branch in Bridgford too.The old memory banks might bring it up later.I'm sure it ended ...ies.

• Upvote 1

What I really want is a decent and fair deal from my local chip shops. Here in the north of Scotland the idea seems to be that you serve the absolute minimum you can get away with and keep reducing the deal until everyone stops buying, then increase a little. As Mick2me rightly says, they are expensive enough without getting robbed into the bargain.

Was it Jollies or some such name? I think they had a branch in Bridgford too.The old memory banks might bring it up later.I'm sure it ended ...ies.

Whatever their name they always gave a fair deal for the money.

Aha! Greyfriars rings bells. I used to go there from my workplace at the time (Miller Bros) and enjoy a chip lunch once a week.

Greyfriars was also the name of the school in the Billy Bunter series. Maybe there was a connection between his size and the number of chips involved

The chippy was Greyfriars, one of the first to do "Donner Kebabs" in Nottingham. A customer of mine in the 80s when I delivered fish for a while.

There is a Chippy in Repton near the Private School (where the film was made)

called Goodbye Mr Chips.

#732 Real fish (Cod & Haddock) for sale in the chippy.

Just referred to as 'fish & chips" not 'Cod & chips'