Things you don't see anymore

It was about the same time that the popular theme of wallpapering a different wallpaper over the chimnney breast came in, probably because changing fireplace from big old iron grate to smaller tiled feature meant there was just one wall to re-decorate......................usually flock, fleur de lis pattern, just like the pub/indian restaurant walls...................then came the 'painted lady' picture, just to complete the 'modern' look......................

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Back in the early 60s, it was popular to paper the chimney breast with stone or brick effect wallpaper,sometimes even wood.

I papered so many, as an apprentice painter and decorator.

• Upvote 1

was doing that in our house in the fifties who could only ever afford a couple of rolls of paper and mum liked to do one wall at christmas time and paint the rest with emultion so it looked fresh and clean. and as we always had big coal fires in both front room and kitchen it always got smokey very quickly. if we wanted a party for any reason as teenagers that was the thing we had to agree to buying the paper for chimney breast and helping to decorate before we could have a party.

• Upvote 1

I can understand why they didn't stop....l

Probably happened across the Spike Islanders is my guess.

Quite a thought to imagine the Danes marching down Mansfield Road to sack Nottingham in 800-odd or whenever it was...

You certainly won't see this kind of price or house owner again:

scan0007.jpg?t=1343048141

Eight quid a pack! You could almost buy a house for that price in the 50s!

Compo

Your rent book is interesting, shows National Coal Board address as 'Sherwood Lodge'

Now the HQ of Nottinghamshire Police

It's too 'ot...............................or 'twot' as my son calls every other driver..................

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing Compo's NCB rent card, sent me digging in my "treasures". My grandparents (mum's parents) occupied the following rented houses (all Corporation except Langdale Road) :

September 1935 - January 1937, 126 Middleton Boulevard, Wollaton Park. Rent 19/6 - increased to 19/9 from April 1936.

(Not sure where they were for the next two years - rent card missing).

January 1939 - March 1940, 84 Hawton Crescent, Wollaton Park. Rent 18/8.

March 1940 - September 1948, 17 Langdale Road, Bakers Fields. Rent 18/6 - increased to 18/11 from June 1945.

September 1948 - August 1954, 11 Aslockton Drive, Aspley. Rent 16/6 - increased to 16/9 from April 1949, 17/2 from April 1951; REDUCED to 16/6 again from August 1951, increased to 17/3 from April 1953, 17/4 from April 1954.

I miss toys in cereal or at least where you could collect tokens to send off for something FREE. I recently saw tokens for a towel, but it still cost lots even after you'd collected the right number of tokens.

I also miss Secret chocolate bars! They brought Wispa and Vice Versas back out a bit ago and I would love it if they did it with Secret bars too!

I still miss the little Bi-carb operated submarines from cereal packets. Welcome to the forum by the way

thumbsup

There were also plastic divers you put in flat top milk bottles filled with water.

When you pressed your palm on the top, the diver sank.

Something to do with a bubble of air trapped in the divers back.

A 'Cartesian Diver'

But there were no plastc bottles in those days.

• Upvote 1

Smashing vid Mick. I shall try that - I have a couple of those plastic pipettes somewhere.

I seem to remember the divers being out at the same time as Mike Nelson was popular on TV. What was that series called?