Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

1935? in some ways looks earlier? in some ways later (length of the woman's skirt)

Is that the town arms to the right? (I know it was a pub, just not sure of name) in 1960's was bit of a drugs scene, later caught fire

Yes that's the Town Arms at the bottom of Short Stairs the road off to the left is Red Lion Street(Narrow Marsh)

Date? certainly before Cliff Road was built.

There is a a picture on picture the past taken in 1926 that looks to have been taken at the same time

http://www.pictureth...n=zoom&id=61850

Interesting old area of town. In the 1980s I worked very close to there on Plumptre Street. At that time it was a small back street printers with a view down the street to the old ice stadium. I worked three stories up in what was probably an old, wealthy merchant's house up in a loft doing artwork, using an industrial camera and making printing plates. Used to wave to the girls working in the facing windows of the textiles factory across the road!

I recall coming out for my lunch one day and seeing an episode of Connie with Stephanie Beacham, being filmed in the street on Broadway. Happy days.

To be honest - I'm no longer for sale. I rent myself out at reasonable rates these days <g>

• 2 weeks later...

They seem to have retained the Art Deco styling throughout the steam era. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Do you remember the prints that used to be mounted above the seats in train compartments? I used to have a couple framed that were rescued from scrapped coaches at Derby works, One was "Bridge of Balgownie, Aberdeenshire" and the other "Loch Linnhe and the Morvern Hills". Sadly, they seem to have gone the way of all flesh.

The days when we were valued passengers and not just a bloody nuisance that has to be catered for in order to get money from us.