Things you don't see anymore

Hand operated meat slicer:

We used to have a similar thing in the home that minced meat. It clamped to a table edge with a thumbscrew arrangement. I was always fascinated by it.

On the general topic, it occurs to me that all these things we 'don't see any more' are probably all readily viewable in Compo's house! :)

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Yes, a mincer was in regular operation in our house - usually on a Tuesday. Left-over slices of the Sunday joint were served up on Monday (wash day) - ugh! Then on Tuesday any remaining bits were minced together with an onion, mixed with pats of mashed potato, floured and fried as rissoles. Serve with brown sauce - nice!

I have a second, more modern, plastic version from the 70s. It has a suction pad on the base and three different cutting blades. I prefer the old cold steel though - "They don't like it up em!"

Very popular over here with the "home brewing" fraternity! The old mincers are perfect for cracking grain to put in the mash!

Very popular over here with the "home brewing" fraternity! The old mincers are perfect for cracking grain to put in the mash!

If you can wait until tomorrow I'll show you a picture of my mash breaker. It is a mincer body but with a modified grinder head like two rotating steel quern stones. Available from some home brew stores in UK. I found that the straight mincer would let too many whole grains through the end.

Damn, Den - that was coffee out the nose!

• 2 weeks later...

:biggrin: Thank you Stu, had many a go on the above when I was a kid - rocking up and down; Amesbury Circus Park. :biggrin:

PS: I wonder what was the fate of the Parks equipment?: Rocking Horses, Slides, Ocean Waves, Swingboats, Roundabouts, Swings; were they just dismantled and forgotten? - except in our memories.

I'd give my garden over to one of the magnificent Swingboats anytime. :biggrin: I bet even now all the kids from the neighbourhood would be queuing up to have a go! Oh and yes, I think I may have just enough room for the thrilling Ocean Wave, the things we'd get up to on it - decent of course! :biggrin: