Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Ah the Dagenham Dustbin, I nearly bought one of those, 2 things stopped me,

I) on a test run it needed petrol, we left the engine running whilst filling up, a voice came over the PA in the garage, "please turn off your engine, the pump can't keep up"!

2) I am not a sheet metal worker or fibre glass laminater by trade, think they were made of 22smg tinfoil

they were nice inside and as mentioned plenty of room around the engine, the one I was after had a fitted portaloo and bed/settee under the bonnet with a hammond 2 manual organ in the boot, a nice finishing touch was the pedestrian sight up the front

• Upvote 2

There was a switch you could click that would just light the offside lights for overnight parking when lighting was compulsory.Spent two hours with a non starter one night.Two mechanics couldn't get it going...the third,a ford man,reached inside and flicked the switch...it fired up immediately.It seemed the lighting switch automatically cut the engine out so that it couldn't be driven by mistake with just the offside lights on.BUT NO SOD TOLD ME............or the first two mechanics.

• 1 month later...

eight-track_dolby_sm_zpsddb0e401.jpg

Who can remember, or used to have, one of the old 8 tracks

My Ford Thunderbird 1966 had one, First one i had ever seen in Nottm it only had one tape it also had A/c ,Snow would come out the dash vents along with dimes & quarters & a massive cigar blew out the window vent

There was an 8-Track player in my 1974 MGB when I bought it - since removed!

You can get all sorts of shoe horns from Amazon!

• 2 weeks later...

Used to hate the stuff and I'd tend to go out of my way to avoid Shippo's pubs (though I did use the Horse & Groom occasionally). Whether you drank that stuff or Home Ales was very much a territorial thing around the suburbs and people tended to go with what they were brought up with.. There were only two Shipstones pubs in my locality, The Ram at Redhill and The Cross Keys in Arnold, the vast majority being Home Ales in line with the proximity of the brewery.

In my humble opinion, Home Bitter was vastly superior to that stinking stuff emanating from the bowels of Basford! :)

Sorry to come in to an old post but some of the comments about the disgusting taste of Shipo,s beer can be explained, I was a pub manager with Shipo,s just before Greenalls took over, I was at the New Inn, Carringhton and The WhiteMoor, Bobbersmill, I hold a Master cellar-man cert, for cask conditioned beer. The three main reasons the beer tasted a little vinegary or shyte if you was a customer was 1,The life of real ale (cask Conditioned) had a certain life and if sales was slow or too much was ordered it would start to go off, thus a sour taste. 2, If the pipes was not cleaned at least once a week yeasts would build in the pipes and the same problem would occur.3, Sometimes in could be held at the Brewery too long before delivery same problem again. I must say when Greenalls took over it greatly improved through tighter checks and Training managers about cellar hygiene and keeping the beer better. All to no avail cause they are nearly all gone ie' The local, who would have thought it could happen twenty years ago?????

That's very interesting to get a view of the subject from an insider. An alternative to the opinions sometimes expressed where takeover of a local brewery by a larger company is always seen as only a bad move

White Swan at Basford was typical as regards "vinegar" I always said (through guesswork) it as per no.1 in the reasons, Landlord got real narked if you asked for a pint of Sarsons or asked when were the chips coming.