Things you don't see anymore

I never knew the 'shelf life' just thought it was for the other reasons, bad keeping and maintenance.

Some of the nicest pints of beer I ever had were at the Shipstones Brewery itself and at The Loggerheads.

As good as any of todays micro brewerys.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Sorry to come in to an old post but some of the comments about the disgusting taste of Shipo,s beer can be explained, I was a pub manager with Shipo,s just before Greenalls took over, I was at the New Inn, Carringhton and The WhiteMoor, Bobbersmill, I hold a Master cellar-man cert, for cask conditioned beer. The three main reasons the beer tasted a little vinegary or shyte if you was a customer was 1,The life of real ale (cask Conditioned) had a certain life and if sales was slow or too much was ordered it would start to go off, thus a sour taste. 2, If the pipes was not cleaned at least once a week yeasts would build in the pipes and the same problem would occur.3, Sometimes in could be held at the Brewery too long before delivery same problem again. I must say when Greenalls took over it greatly improved through tighter checks and Training managers about cellar hygiene and keeping the beer better. All to no avail cause they are nearly all gone ie' The local, who would have thought it could happen twenty years ago?????

When I worked as a barman in the Horse and Groom (1966)there was a big turnover in bitter especially.

Stan,the landlord,was a stickler for keeping the pipes clean.I don't know how long the kegs were stored at the brewery but the beer was still shite.

Shipo's....Bleaaaah ! I can still taste it

Baz :ninja:

I have a book titled: Kimberley Ale: Hardys & Hansons 1832 - 1982 writen by George Bruce.ISBN 0 9500730 9 1

We were given that book when we worked for Hardy and Hansons - just seen it on Amazon for £64

There is an 8 track player and tapes in my OH "office" nay rubbish room :biggrin:

Apple coarers (Spelling?) made from bone.

My Mum had one (Probably still has) and made thousands (And I mean THOUSANDS) of apple pies (My Dads favourite) using it. And of course there were the baked apples filled with treacle and raisins, with "Carnation 'evaporated' Milk" poured over it.

And there's another one or two "Carnation 'evaporated' Milk" , and 'condenced milk'

I recognise it well. The conductors used to use those ticket machines on Nottingham City Transport buses I think.

Not NCT More like Trent

NCT machines had five push down leavers on the front

and always someone there to help young mums get pushchairs on and off of course yo had to fold them up in them day, and the elderly and didabled would always get a hand with shopping bags and getting on if you needed it

Not NCT More like Trent

NCT machines had five push down leavers on the front

You're right of course. It shows how often I was taken on City Transport buses. Still actively avoiding them.

and some of them push chairs were very heavy and dificult to fold with one hand while trying to hold shopping and cary a small baby\child no wonder i usually had a taxi home espesialy when i had a baby and a todler we had no car in them days and big shops and butchers and things were either in town or beeston soeven if i walk to town or beeston when the weather was fine andi often did .once i had got all my weekly shopping i could not carry it all on the pushchair and walk all the way home and eldest would be getting tiered by that time so a taxi home it had to be.

i dont use bus tram very often despite having had a bus pass for a few years now except pehaps to take me from one sine of town to the other bus and tram stops just too far for me to walk to and from now but hoping when i get my scooter i will use the tram a bit more to get backwards and forwards to town.

Apple coarers (Spelling?) made from bone.

My Mum had one (Probably still has) and made thousands (And I mean THOUSANDS) of apple pies (My Dads favourite) using it. And of course there were the baked apples filled with treacle and raisins, with "Carnation 'evaporated' Milk" poured over it.

And there's another one or two "Carnation 'evaporated' Milk" , and 'condenced milk'

Condensed and Carnation Milk are available in all supermarkets and they do a Light version of them now.

My OH loves very thick black coffee with just a little condensed milk in it.

Introduced in 1947

Each value of ticket was a different colour

1d yellow ?

2d Green ?

as far as I can remember

2½d Blueish grey (later 5d was this colour)

3d Pink or Terracotta or Orange

4d Purple

7d Buff

But I think some of the colours varied over the years. Note that there was no 6d ticket - for that you got a double-3d issue. (Press the button down below, and then depressing the lever once would issue two tickets at once.). The ticket printers were from time to time Hunt & Colleys (Hucknall Road), Oller Ltd (London) and Bell Punch Co Ltd (London). The "Ultimate" ticket machine was manufactured by the Bell Punch Co. as you can see from the maker's plate.

The other machine, by the way, is a Setright Speed - used by many bus operators including, locally, Trent, Barton, Midland General, East Midland, Mansfield District, South Notts - to mention but a few!