Things you don't see anymore

cow-shoes_zps6dd7b7bf.jpg

This is one of a pair of cow shoes worn by moonshiners, in the USA during Prohibition, to hide their

tracks from Prohibition agents. The cow shoe is a strip of metal to which is tacked a wooden block

carved to resemble the hoof of a cow, which may be strapped to the human foot. A man shod with a

pair of them would leave a trail resembling that of a cow.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

This is one of a pair of cow shoes worn by moonshiners, in the USA during Prohibition, to hide their

tracks from Prohibition agents. pair of them would leave a trail resembling that of a cow.

If they fitted the cows with a couple of pairs of Reebocks the Agents would go off in a different direction ? :)

I mst keep my eyes open more !

I must admit i don't go looking for it !

Much as I hate to quote myself, I actually found it right next to the tinned Pineapple on Sunday, of course I had to buy a tin !

Seems to me that condensed milk is one of those binary substances - people either love it, or hate it, with no middle ground. No offence to the "love it" group, but I am firmly in the "hate it" camp - possibly because my mum would use it in tea if we had no fresh milk - and it tasted TERRIBLE!

I seem to have a recollection of somebody showing us how to boil a tin of condensed milk (Can't remember how long for) then opening it , and it had more or less solidified and was eaten as a pudding on its own.

I wouldn't recommend trying it myself as I'd probably blow up the kitchen !

I've boiled a can of condensed milk and used it afterwards for banoffee pie.

Ah banoffee pie !! My joint favourite along side Tiramasou .

The best Banoffee pie I ever had was over in Ireland about 8 years ago, and you can't beat the tiramasou that SWMBO makes (You can't drive or barely stand up after eating it either !!)

the wife with your slippers warming by the fire and your tea(hot meal) ready to be dished up within 5 minutes of walking through the door,and then she would go out and bring a jug of ale back from the beeroff,oops what am i saying,wheres my hard hat

we had sixpence in our christmas pudding but allways wrapped in greaseproof paper.

as for condenced milki was a love it eat it by the spoon full and on bread and butter.

And bread and butter was always called 'bread and butter' even if it was marge

We had bread and butter but on festive occasions bread and REAL butter :)

Speaking of wash & Brush up, I once saw a lovely cartoon. A man wash washing in a gents toilet sink and the attendant was standing behind him with a wicked grin and a broom handle pointing straight at his ars*. I thought it was so funny that I laughed 'til I stopped :D