Things you don't see anymore

My apologies Trev.Jeff Harding is Australian,I was thinking of another boxer who was born in Liverpool and now resides in Sydney.

Further for M2Ms edification.Tony Mundine is also an"Abbo" ex Australian champion boxer.His son Anthony is still a boxer.I use that term loosely because most of the boxers he has fought and beaten were over the hill hacks or not up to a professional standard.He also calls himself an Aboriginal but he is only a half chat because his mother is white.He has also converted to the Islamic faith.

The mind boggles.

Baz :ninja:

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

What some of these people seem to forget, bazza, that regardless where they were born, they came to Australia, became Australian citizens and proudly fought for Australia!!

Joe Bugner finally won his heavy weight world title as an Australian and when he entered the ring for his title fight, he was displaying the Australian flag and the Boxing Kangaroo banner.

Incidentally, Famechon was five when his parents brought him to Australia and he was 17 when he had his first professional fight (draw) at the House of Stoush (Festival Hall Melbourne) in 61.

Likewise, Mattioli was six when he came to this country with his parents and he had his first professional fight (win) in 1970, again at the House of Stoush here in Melbourne.

Hardly what one could even remotely call "scraping the barrel" by calling them 'Australian' boxers. Just what else would you call them :tongue:

• Upvote 1

Thanks Bazza.

I am sure that Many countries would be keen to claim Usain Bolt as their own if the could.

Do they have any Native American boxers?

mick2me.......most, if not all American boxers are home bred but if you are referring to native Americans of the Red Indian variety: the following link will give you the information that you want:

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Category:Native_American_Boxers

Joe Louis and Jack Dempsey publicly stated that they had indian blood in them.

On a lighter note, jay silverheels, the actor who played tonto was a good amateur and golden gloves champion.

You also must not forget Chief Sitting Bull who well and truly boxed Custers' ears.

• Upvote 1

bazza, do you remember Tony Mundine snr fighting? He never gave up for one second but that rumour about his glass jaw followed him to the end of career.

I would not put his son in the same category as his father...his son is all mouth, wind and water! I would not tell him that though. Anything not to his liking or wishes and we are all racists.

• Upvote 1

Never had the pleasure of watching him fight. When he started his career, we had already moved across to WA. Where did you see him fight...down Rushcutters?

But I do remember listening on the radio to the Lionel Rose v Fighting Harada match from Tokyo in 68. Top little fighter was Lionel, just a shame that the booze got to him in the end PLUS all the leeches that bled him dry under the disguise of being family. Died broke but left a lasting legacy.

Full service gas stations.....water sir.....check your oil......check the air in your tires? It was the loss of this service, that was the beginning of other things fading away as well.

We have one in town that pumps your gas for you. Never mind what the weather is [and it's bloody cold in winter] one of the girls working there comes out, pumps your gas, and washes your windshield.

Wonderful - I remember such things as a kid, and then enter self service stations and I saw first hand the changes that followed.

There are some scarce echo's of those days - but few and far between as they are. I'm proud to say that I ran a repair shop out of my grand-mothers wagon house (barn) for 37 years. My greatest pleasure came from making people happy - when they were in a jam and they needed a quick fix. I'd say, no problem - why don't you go take care of some of your other Saturday morning chores and stop back in an hour - or hour and a half, when ever you get finished. I never let them down....and with low over-head - I made them happy twice.

Another man, and I, kept crossing paths time and time again. He'd run out of gas for his car one time - he had a flat tire on the highway, I stopped to help him - didn't know him in the dark, invited him to my shop at midnight and put his spare tire on for him......and he broke a belt on his family van and pulled into the drive way, he said, hi Dave, it's me again......he was a teacher at the grade school that I attended in my youth.....he'd always offer me money, even though he was hard up in the finance department, I never had the heart to take his last $20.00.....he'd just look at me, shake my hand, say thank you every time......he then said, you remind me of a movie I saw recently - called, "Pay It Forward".......that's you he told me! Do you know the movie Katjay?

Years ago I picked a vagrant up in the pouring rain...he was very grateful and I shared a coffee with him in a layby.On reaching town I dropped him at the bus station under cover.I gave him my loose change to help him out, and a few sandwiches.

As I was about to leave he said..."Have you ever heard of Howard Hughes?"...I said "Yes why?"...He said.."My names Howard....Howard Snodgrass!"

I took my loose change back off him....and the sandwiches...Scruffy Bastard! :glare:

No, tyafans, I remember the movie coming out, but never got around to seeing it. Will put it on my Netflix list.

Being an American, living in Germany, my ways are very different than they practice here. Brigitte and I had to take a ride today to a town about 45 minutes away. We stopped for lunch there, and there was a elderly lady sitting by herself, I said hello and asked her to join us at our table, she said she has been alone for the last 16 years, so eating alone for her was alright. My gram always hated to eat alone, so the least I can do is offer people sitting alone our company.

At a concert in Holland a few years ago, it was colder than hell outside that night, the venue wouldn't let us come in, so we headed for something to eat in a warm place. There was this guy walking around aimlessly - I said, come with us and we'll buy you a dinner as we all waite for the concert......he didn't think twice and joined us.....all he wanted was a cup of coffee and talk about music for the next hour. We all had a great time, before, during and after the concert.......when I got back to my car, I found a parking ticket for 60.00 euros waiting for me.....a car pulled out, I pulled in, it was a Friday night......and I just payed the damn ticket.......the next time we went there Brigitte drove and she got a ticket too......no wonder everyone in Holland rides their bikes around town. The coffee shops are now also off limits - unless you live there! Just saying is all - say no to drugs!

Being an American, living in Germany, my ways are very different than they practice here. Brigitte and I had to take a ride today to a town about 45 minutes away. We stopped for lunch there, and there was a elderly lady sitting by herself, I said hello and asked her to join us at our table, she said she has been alone for the last 16 years, so eating alone for her was alright. My gram always hated to eat alone, so the least I can do is offer people sitting alone our company.

At a concert in Holland a few years ago, it was colder than hell outside that night, the venue wouldn't let us come in, so we headed for something to eat in a warm place. There was this guy walking around aimlessly - I said, come with us and we'll buy you a dinner as we all waite for the concert......he didn't think twice and joined us.....all he wanted was a cup of coffee and talk about music for the next hour. We all had a great time, before, during and after the concert.......when I got back to my car, I found a parking ticket for 60.00 euros waiting for me.....a car pulled out, I pulled in, it was a Friday night......and I just payed the damn ticket.......the next time we went there Brigitte drove and she got a ticket too......no wonder everyone in Holland rides their bikes around town. The coffee shops are now also off limits - unless you live there! Just saying is all - say no to drugs!

Blimey!! It all 'appens to you, don't it? never a minutes peace for a philanthropist such as you...................take heart, providence will cast her weary eye in your direction at some point, rest assured we all reap what we sow................ :)

• 1 month later...

camp coffee

children's three wheeled bikes

liberty bodice with rubber buttons

whirl pool bra's (ladies only)

• Upvote 1

You can still get "Camp Coffee" (And I don't mean anything served by Graham Norton or Dale Winton)

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10714&hl=%26quot%3Bcamp+coffee%26quot%3B#entry159227