Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

#1503: Whirlpool Bras - that's a real blast from the past. I had forgotten all about them!

I've got to stick my nose into this one as well. Top of my list of things you don't see any more 1. Me without grey hair. 2. Me with a 28inch waist. LOL

#1520 Love the photo, how bizare. You could kill yourself twice as fast. Wouldn't have gone down well on Dragons Den if it was around back then, or maybe?. De Da Pete.

I constantly live with the knowledge that I'm a foreigner in my own country. I was born in England but live in Scotland. No-one hates the English more than the Scots but we are still one and the same union.

Chalked arrows in the streets. I can't remember what we called the game but one went off chalking arrows for the rest to follow some time later. The idea was to catch up with the 'chalker'.

I don't live in a town so I may be mistaken but I don't recall seeing noen signs recently.

#1526 Compo

I remember playing this game on the streets of Gedling, I remember also making little piles of stones as well to indicate some thing, but i can't remember what,Lol any ideas, it could have been something to do with the Brownies because i know we did some kind of Tracking with them. :unsure:

#1525 Yeh i remember the cap guns, :tease: if my brothers dared put theirs down for a second, i would pick it up and shoot them for all the cruel things they did to my celluloid dolls, like pushing their faces in, because once dented they never went back to normal, and i would use all their caps up before they caught me. Ner Ner Na Ner Ner :crazy:

• Upvote 1

We called it 'Tracking' strangely enough!

And Sturmey Archer gears are still on some bikes, I think they're made in China.

I know there used to be a "Hobo" language that involved sticks and piles of stones, IE a broken stick outside a property could mean food given here, or a couple of stones could mean beware of the dog etc