Things you don't see anymore

Carni, # 1554. Talking about the foil tops on milk bottle and in cigarette packets ........ Wasn't there a time when all this silver foil was collected for some reason, maybe an early attempt at recycling?? Am I imagining that or can anyone else remember doing it?

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Guide dogs for the blind. It was Aluminium and used to raise so much per ton.

Our Jackies guides bought one, and we bought three during my time boozing in The Inn for a Penny.

Drawing marks on pavements (was it hopscotch)

Police whistle sweet that worked and you could eat it ?

old type whip and top forgot what types they are.

foil tops and silver foil yes I collected it forget what for.

Lizzie, I just got in and saw your post about the collecting of silver paper, I remember collecting it as well, and Beefsteak reminded me what it was for, it certainly showed how much we smoked by the speed we collected it. Did the makers start to stick the silver and the backing paper together, making it almost impossible to separate the two?.I was trying to recall how long the collecting went on for and what we did with it once we had got it. Can you remember if there was somewhere to take it, i have no idea.

I have no idea where we took the tops and fag wrappers!! I don't even recall what happened to the vouchers that my parents collected from the cigarette packets ........ the more you collected the better pressie you got, haha! And that's made me think about Green Shield Stamps ......... I threw away half a dozen full books the other week whilst clearing my Dad's house out. :ohmy:

Lizzie, I just got in and saw your post about the collecting of silver paper, I remember collecting it as well, and Beefsteak reminded me what it was for, it certainly showed how much we smoked by the speed we collected it. Did the makers start to stick the silver and the backing paper together, making it almost impossible to separate the two?.I was trying to recall how long the collecting went on for and what we did with it once we had got it. Can you remember if there was somewhere to take it, i have no idea.

Now you mention it, I seem to remember my dad setting fire to the backing paper to burn it off the silver, so maybe they did stick it on.

There must be some reason for them sticking it together, probably cost effective, every thing always seems to boil down to profit,, Unless someone split on us for making the little cups and sticking them on ceilings. Was it you Steven. :unsure:

Ok i believe you this time LOL

Can you remember all the money off vouchers, if we collected them all up and took them on to Rothies or one of the other grocery vans that came round the estate, they let us spend them on sweets, Bet they wouldn't today.

Free league tables from Shoot and Match football comics, they was made out of cardboard and they was pre-cut so you just pushed them out and then you put them into the slots in your cardboard league table. The joy of putting the teams in order after they played was fun to do for a bit then you got fed up moving the teams about.

Kunzl Cakes.

I think my mother used to get them from Burton's on Smithy Row, but by the time I was buying groceries myself (mid-1970s) you could get them from the local supermarket - or at least you could from Elmo on Mansfield Road in Sherwood. Then they just seemed to disappear from the shops.

Sorry if these have been mentioned before - I haven't looked back to the beginning of this topic.

The paper was stuck to the foil in fag packetys by two thin vertical lines of glue.

The wine cup gizmos were used in the cinema to gereat effect, covering the ceiling above the upstairs galleries!

0113.jpg

How come these products are no longer on the market......could it be that they did not work?

There are no dates for the ads, just the title "Vintage Soap Ads" and in the lower ad, a testimonial dated 08/04/1926.

An early scam or should I say, a soft soap sales pitch?

03.jpeg

Even Australia is not immune!

The claims for this garment, either in parts or as a whole, are truly awe inspiring....check out the left hand side of the advert and the final statement:- 'Every other form of disease'....I'll take two, please!

Just check out the testimonial of A.J.Maury at the bottom of the article regarding his wife

c. 1900:

Prof. Wilson’s Magneto-Conservative Garments

Wilson-Electro_Conservative-Garments-620

“Prof. Wilson’s MAGNETO-CONSERVATIVE GARMENTS. Our Magneto-Conservative Belt and Appliances will POSITIVELY CURE all forms of diseases in both sex without the use of drugs. Hundreds of thousands testify to that effect. You can not wear our belt or appliances without being benefited. If you follow our advice you will be free from disease. BEWARE of the so-called electric or magnetic belts, for they only lead to disappointment. We are the sole proprietors and manufacturers of Prof. Wilson’s world renowned Magneto Electricity Conserving Belts and Appliances, which. When used as directed, always effect a cure”

Trev can you send me the leg appliance please ? I need something . Yesterday at old folks badminton I felt a hamstring twang , after only about 15 mins playing . Had a job to even walk back to the car .

Can barely walk on it today so looks like my games playing is on hold for a while .

Getting back to the ad . Thats a saying Ive never heard before in the lead paragraph " as distinct .......as a pine knot in an indians wigwam is to the electric light in our shops " ?

My mother swore by this little brown bottle. She'd put a few drops in hot water, to drink, I didn't reckon much to it. It was about on the same level of hatred as the dreaded brown tonic the doctor dished out.