Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I bought a tele in April 1995 & threw it out in December last year still working.( the tip had about 30 teles at the time)

My new tele is a 42" HD & more jobbie.

My Hi-Fi is 30 years old except the CD player

My micro wave is about 16 years old.

We bought a new cooker last year old one over 20 years old.

AND my wife is 59 & sill going strong :jumping:

The first ever fridge we had was new in 1961. I was still using it in 1998, and probably would be to this day except when I got married that year my wife wouldn't let me - er, I mean we decided to get a bigger fridge/freezer for our new home.

Remember when:-

A tablet was something you took when ill

A remote was something faraway

A mouse was a rodent

A tweet was a noise a bird made

Mobile was being active

A recorder was a wind instrument

• Upvote 1

Perfumed Cards that smelled of flowers when you opened the envelope.

Boxes of Chocolates with Lovely Scenery or Flowers on the lid.

Up until 1981 in our Beer Off we used to sell lots of Confectionery.

At "Celebration Times" we would sell some really Decorative Boxes of Chocolates; Scenery, Floral and even Old Fashioned Portraits.

One Brand, (I think it was Terry's All Gold) came one year in a three drawer box, we bought one for my Mother in Law, who used it for jewellery afterwards.

The nearest decorative boxes I see these days are from Thorntons, with mainly a Nice shaped box and Bow, still no picture Box.

I remember those perfumed cards. And the fancy boxes of chocolates, you'd only see them at Christmas time. Same with tins of biscuits, country scenes etc on the lids. When we lived in Surrey, a friend's husband was head honcho for Nurdin & Peacock cash & carry. One Christmas one of the folks who did the artwork for Huntley & Palmers was commissioned to draw a cartoon-like picture of a garden scene, with lots going on in it. The man was leaving shortly afterwards, so obviously thought he'd have a laugh, and if you really looked closely you could see a couple having it off in the bushes, 2 dogs mating, etc. It was a while before anyone spotted things, the tins were already out in the shops, so they had to go round getting them all back in again before anyone else spotted it. Our friend nabbed a tin as a keepsake.

• Upvote 2

If I tell The Honest Truth, no Fibs and Porkie Pies,

Round these parts they are called Off licences or Out Doors. But I wanted to call it the name I remember from Home, and the only people who will know what I am on abaaht when I say "Beer Off" are you Nottstalgians. thumbsup

• Upvote 2

I have a large collection of old postcards, mostly sent by my Grandad to his Mother asking for her to send a parcel of clean collars to where he was working (for Boots) in the early 1900s. Occasionally I dip into the shoe box that they live in and pull a few out to read and look at the fabulous photos of mainly High Streets around the country. The reason for this ramble is because one postcard was sent to a relation and all it says on the address is THE BEER OFF, LONG EATON. Must have only been one there in those days then .....

• Upvote 4

It took us a long time to realise the local kids were climbing our fence, nicking the empties from the crates and bringing them back into the shop for the refunds.

We both thought the other one was putting crates out with a few bottles missing!

We only found out in the winter with the footprints in the snow. They went from

fence to crates, back to fence and to the shop door!

We would never have done a thing like that when we were kids.....Honestly :P

• Upvote 3