Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Old English Spangles were my favourite. there was a DJ on Radio Caroline called "Spangles" Muldoon in 1968.

• 4 weeks later...

one thing i don't think we will see anymore, back in the 1950s wigman rd bilborough saw a workman in sat in front of a brazier with his shovel upside down frying an egg on the pan, he was there with a kind of nissen hut affair behind him repairing the road, also rememer it being very hot day, i was only a nipper of about 4 or 5 years old, dont think elf and safety would allow this now.

As Children,we used to spend some days down by the trent with Mam and Dads friends from Lambley. Some times the Borstal boys would all troupe by. Probably as you say " On a Sunday". We would all be in our Swimming costumes, and our Parents always called us to their sides as they passed. Being so young I was always terrified when the words 'Borstal Boys' were mentioned. Where they that bad ! I do remember one shouting something to me one day, but I was to young to understand his meaning. Probably a good job!

• Upvote 1

Some good lads were sent to 'Borstal'................and some bad lads,who came out 'Good'...........if you know what i mean!

• Upvote 3

rag and bone man with his horse and cart the only thing near to that now are the numerous vans cruising the streets for unwanted metal items...and charities that post bags through the door for u to fill with unwanted items...

Your right there benjamin. It just goes to show how chidren can be influenced by other peoples words. ..If you carry on like that you'll end up in Borstal seemed to be a saying round our way if a lad was misbehaving. I don't think they had to be doing much before the expression was used. No wonder we grew up fearing the place.

• Upvote 1

Some of the lads had bad parents,i knew a couple from when i was a teenager and felt really sorry for em,they were sent to Borstal for misdameaners that would hardly be punished at all nowadays,

People go on about bad parents today but they existed back in the 50s and 60s as well.

• Upvote 1

That photo #1869 by Ivor of MacFisheries on Carrington St reminded me that there was a secretarial bureau above (Kay's?) and you entered by a door and staircase at the side of the shop and what a pong there always was! Always wondered how the folk that worked there could put up with it. That would have been in the early 60`s.

Children holding doors open for adults.

Children doing ANYTHING for adults.

It always amuses me to see how the young and fit grab the disabled and elderly seats on buses and show complete complacency and lack of concern when an elderly or disabled person in left standing.

When we were kids, it was a privelege to stand for a lady. Now it's sexist.

• Upvote 1

Trolley buses or tracklesses

sugar weighed out in blue bags

biscuits weighed out, they were in big square tins with a glass lid

rag and bone man

78's, 45's, LP's EP's

8mm film

8 track stereo

I still have my 8 track player, cartridges and a spare player.

And parking bays at the supermarkets......but that is not always the young, its the idle people who can't be bothered to walk!

Like MY wife... although in all fairness she does have disabilities, but we don't want to claim anything. If you don't claim money; you can't have a parking place, even if you ar disabled. Crazy.

paragoric cough medicine from co-op chemists at the corner of Westdale Lane !Main Road the stuff was morphine !