Things you don't see anymore

rag and bone man with his horse and cart the only thing near to that now are the numerous vans cruising the streets for unwanted metal items...and charities that post bags through the door for u to fill with unwanted items...

steptoe_and_son_2095776b.jpg

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Re #1881 "Penalty for improper use £5" - oh no, that was a different sort of chain !

Re #1882 - No, its an AEC Regent Three, with 9.6 litre engine, air-operated pre-selector gearbox, and Park Royal body. [sorry, I have a reputation to maintain - as a nerd!]

• Upvote 3

Re #1881 "Penalty for improper use £5" - oh no, that was a different sort of chain !

Re #1882 - No, its an AEC Regent Three, with 9.6 litre engine, air-operated pre-selector gearbox, and Park Royal body. [sorry, I have a reputation to maintain - as a nerd!]

Thanks for the gen. Now....have you got a picture of the internal lights, please?

Spangles........

I loved them, they were threepence and had lots of different flavours, you could suck them for ages...........

• Upvote 1

Spangles........

I had a summer job making Spangles for Mars in Slough, late sixties Blondie. They also made Tunes in the same factory, after an 8 hour shift you smelt like a tune and wherever you went everyone knew where you worked, you just couldn't get rid of the smell. I played for a football team called the Spangles All Stars in the Slough Industrial League - we were better at making boiled sweets!

• Upvote 3

No need for that language blondie'

Mighty imps which were an old penny a bag - and black Jacks which 4 for an old penny, they made your teeth go black.............

And Fennings Fever Mixture.......It was kept at the top of the cupboard, if you complained of feeling ill to get a day of school, the Fennings came out of the cupboard and you were at the School gate before the top was off.............Revolting stuff, cured everything.......

Then there was the Malt from the clinic............... Setlitz Powders and Andrew's Liver Salts and Derbac Soap to wash your hair with, it stopped you from catching nits.............God, aren't I old ?..........

• Upvote 1

I can remember all those things, Ivor Thirst....... If you went to Mrs Lee's tuck shop, ( she sold everything imaginable for under threepence) - opposite Spring Street School in Hucknall, you could get a penny worth of Kali, stuck your finger in it to suck it, ended up with yellow fingers........

Soap powders - TIDE, RINSO AND OXYDOL......

I wouldn't know because I have never heard of them.....

thought fags caused that

Fags made your finger's go brown........