Things you don't see anymore

Still never heard of them.......

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Methinks you mean State Express 555 Terence. A brand that originated in 1893. Manufactered originally by the Ardath tobacco company (UK) but then bought out by the British American tobacco company.(BAT). I think they finished production of the brand in 2008.

images%2520%25281%2529.jpg

• Upvote 1

chitterlins ,tripe and breast of mutton

On the odd occasion that I buy lamb or mutton I get it from the local farmer. That way I get a whole beast for the price of a couple of joints.

ah, compo, interesting, about 555 history, i ended up on No6 tipped after years of smoking Capstan full strength and woodbines, remember smoking Camel and Passing Cloud, oval fags,

When I was about 17 I started smoking silva thins, different coloured cigs and others, trying to look cool. When I look back at all the money I spent over 30 years of being a smoker it makes think what I could have bought.

Terence 12: You were lucky! I couldn't afford No.6 and had to smoke No.10s....Cue the four Yorkshire men :)

and every Friday night was syrup of figs night when I was very young,it was that or that bloody chewing gum , what was that called,, with in about 3/4 of an hour you were on the loo . there were 4 of us kids and we had to line up for a dose, there was no way of getting out of it , the old lady made sure of that

Spangles........

I loved them, they were threepence and had lots of different flavours, you could suck them for ages...........

Spangles were the Sunday treat when dad went to pay the papers at Stones paper shop High Church Street in the 50's

Real teeth rotters, though.

'Spitting Prohibited' sign on buses.

Izal toilet paper 'OUCH' or cut up newspaper and magazine paper on the nail.

Geometry sets

A bit of kidney with a pork chop, now forbidden by faceless morons in Brussels.

'Spitting Prohibited' sign on buses.

Izal toilet paper 'OUCH' or cut up newspaper and magazine paper on the nail.

Geometry sets

A bit of kidney with a pork chop, now forbidden by faceless morons in Brussels.

An interesting "Izal" article in the Independent.

It is a discomfiting thing to learn that Izal loo roll is still available. Not as discomfiting as it used to be, in the days when this slightly abrasive product was routinely found in school toilets and public conveniences, the harsh price of spending a penny away from home. Today it is not – quite – so harsh.

San Izal has been rebranded Izal, and the tissue seems less unforgiving than before. Make no mistake, this is not the sort of roll that the Andrex puppy would like to romp around with, but it is just a little less austere than before. The scent of disinfectant seems also to have disappeared, which is a bit of a shame for those who like their khazi karma nice and traditional.

It is difficult to believe that, in a world of ultra-soft pastel-hued lavatorial opulence, such a throwback to the age of austerity will still be bought out of choice (it is not particularly cheap either). Some websites market it as a "novelty product". Nostalgia, surely, has its limits: there's no need to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

• Upvote 1

tony1 #1923. In the 1980s for a few years I worked in the W-ton City Center as a Butchers shop counter assistant. I can always remember that quite a few of our senior citizen customers would not have the Pork Chops without the Kidney attatched, if the kidney had come unattatched,they didn't want it. I never understood why, because they were paying the price of the weight of Pork as Kidney was cheaper. I had noticed that we never see this in shops any more, now i see why. It was forbidden. That explains it!

• Upvote 1

Probably the same with the Pork chop and Kidney. If you know your Local Butcher and he is obliging. Why Not. I would buy from our local Butcher if he thinks it's OK. I can't imagin he would risk a 60odd year family business just for one sale.

I asked our butcher about pork chop with kidneys last year, when I bought some tripe (yum yum) and he said it was purely lack of demand and very few people wanted it attached now.