Things you don't see anymore

Festival Creams and ... Ginger biscuits that actually tasted of ginger.

Bacon with enough fat to fry six eggs from one rasher. [ The food police having since removed fat (and therefore any taste) from all meat before we get it.]

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I think that was in the late 1950s could have been 1960/1

I can remember the submarines too.

But kellogs did a set of six cow boys & Indians around the same time.

They also did a set of pistols(half of one side only) and further set of rifles.

# 1984 & 1986

Had a lot of fun with the little submarine. Also in the Kelloggs cornflakes, same period, there was a number of vehicles you could make with inter-connecting parts. An open backed lorry, a car and bus I remember. We still have the Kelloggs cornflakes but no freebies these days, perhaps kids don't eat them?

• Upvote 1

I think it was called sterilised milk which came in a long glass bottle with a metal cap.

My gran always used it and nothing else. So on our visits we had to drink it.

It made me want to heave, just thinking about the taste and smell now is making me want to throw up

Absolutely agree Robbie. We had pasteurised milk, red or silver top and orange-top Guernsey milk.

The mother of a friend, down the road, offered me a drink of sterilised milk and I after I first tasted it, I was stuck with it out of politeness.

Ugh.... It was GROSS !

I also had the similar experience with Camp coffee.

We always had Nescafe made with milk (never water). A taste of Camp was a real culture shock. Yeuk !

My mother and an aunt used to eat a product called ENERGEN ROLLS. They came in a blue box and consisted of a ball of dry crispy, very light, honey-comb bread .

Yester-years version of a slimming product. The problem was, that they used to eat it with a lavish spread of best butter. Somewhat defeated the object.