Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

#2034 I have seen a odd tin of brasso but I havent seen duraglit for years,mam used to put loads of brass ornaments on newspaper give us the duraglit spent hours trying to get that xtra shine ,I enjoyed doing it cleaned any coins in the house anaal.

# 2033 None of the buildings on the photograph are of Watson Fothergill design.

The road off to the right is Narrow Marsh the building on the left with the writing on is at the bottom of Drury Hill.

The Great Central Railway(yet to be built) ran down the left hand side of the picture taken around 1895.

The road continues on to Weekday Cross.

The Church(now the Pitcher & Piano) in the distance is on High Pavement

I have a nice map of this area dated 1881

• Upvote 1

Any chance of sharing that map with us Bubblewrap? I for one would be grateful in seeing it as I have a keen interest in that area.

re #2037, Thankyou. I realise where we are talking about now. I have seen the Church, when we have stayed at The Ibis on Fletcher Gate. Our Son and Partner called in the Pitcher and Piano, when they came to Nottm with us. Not being sure where places are anymore,I thought the tower in the image was the Baptist Church on Woodborough Road. On looking again. I can see it is very different.

Gibbo

The map I have is one of many I have of the town although not many of the town centre itself.

The maps are somewhat large to be scanned measuring 42" x28" with a scale of 10 feet to the mile or 500/1.

I can however get photo copies done(cost about £3.50) and get them to you some how.

I do come into town about every two weeks or so (mainly for a pint) if you want a copy P.M. me.

I find the Broad Marsh/Middle Marsh/ Narrow marsh. area interesting if only for the number of public houses.

There were in 1880 eight public houses on Narrow Marsh(now Cliff Road) alone.

Most of the streets on the above map are no longer there. (Streets like Sussex Street & Plum Street.)

Also on some of the other maps are the beginnings of Nottingham's (then horse) tram system complete with stables & sheds.

re#2042. Oh yes. Big difference! Up until leaving Nottm in 1966,I passed the Baptist Church many times on a weekly basis, visiting relatives and working on Alfred St North. There really is no comparison, seeing them together. :rolleyes:

I will pass the Pub name Cock a Hoop on to my son, It won't be long before he is back in Nottm, they love the place. Me Too!

carni there are far more "interesting"(sell a bigger variety of beers) in the area.

The Vat & Fiddle (Queen's Bridge Drive)

The Crafty Crow (Friar Lane)

The Barrel Drop (Hurt's Yard)

The Bell (Angel Row)

All of the above are worth a visit and have their differences in style.

• Upvote 1

Do you mean skewers?

They use string these days ?

no I think skewers were meant to hold the joint together wire swords were abount 3inch stuck in to pin the bill.