Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Belly button lint.

Christmas lights in the shape of trees, santas, houses .....there is a curiosity shop in Mablethorpe I visited many yrs ago he collects them even has a morris traveller in the shop..... some must have visited the shop

my wife and I are going in Aug to that neck of the woods as she never been being from the south, .......oh no sand here just pebbles.....

#2687: The Scots fly the Slatire on St Andrews day and are patriotic Scots. The English fly the GC on St George's day and are racist...How does that work?!

• Upvote 2

Or perhaps some Betamax recording? And YES I do have the recorder to go with it.

IMG_2826.JPG

Here are a few railway things you don't see much of any more:

Left to right Clockwise: 2 Star petrol tank plate, LNER penalty notice, Waggon plate, LMS upper quadrant home signal arm. On the ground below the signs: A piece of 80lb bullhead rail and chairs with wooden noggins.

IMG_2825.JPG

• Upvote 2

good old Mr Beecham ay......... bless his cotton socks..... do you think the railways would still be as good if not better as they were when we had all the stations track ... being able to get to many more areas without the use of road .... or would be un-manageable nowadays...????

I can't help thinking that the country would have been better off without Dr Beeching, but with Enoch Powell. Two huge mistakes of the 60's

Just to be clear; my comment on Powell is about immigration, NOT race

• Upvote 3

Re bagatelle in #2693.

That appears to be exactly like the one my grandparents had at their house, and we always played it whenever we visited. I haven't seen another for over 40 years. Does it have any kind of brand name?

Sorry Cliff Ton, no brand name. I think it pre-dates mass production. Here are two photos of the game, showing the scorecard, whioch is similar to that you find on cribbage boards:

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

#2701 bagatelle.

Now I've seen the whole thing it's not quite the same as the one I knew - my grandma's didn't have the scorecard bit - but it still brings back memories. And thank god for Health and Safety today - those circular shapes which look like Stonehenge are in fact NAILS protruding from the baseboard. Even when I was a kid I was amazed how something as lethal as that could be allowed on a children's toy.

I have one in my shed and use it on occasions still, mine does'nt have the "thruppenny bit rivetted on the pressure relief valve though

Rog