Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

'There's a few bob there for someone.'

I reckon you may be right, Michael. It looks like it's near Belvoir Castle, I'll pop down tomorrow and see if it's still there. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

TBI @2761 if you can drag that roller out of the grass verge you've earned it! Robbie has really bothered me with this picture, where is it? the fences are nice, the fence on the right is a deer-proof one around a cedar plantation, the road seems new, clay topped, no tarmac, the water in the distance seems to say "reservoir" and I always think I know Leicestershire just by looking at the land. Not Belvoir in the distance but a farmhouse been there a few years and owned by a bloke with a bob or two. C'mon Robbie have you got any more picture clues?

# 2714 ......... That's just how my husband came upon the Road Roller he had and brought back to life. He found it in the corner of a field in Bedfordshire, almost completely hidden by overgrown hedges. It was a case of finders keepers. He and our boys got a lot of enjoyment bringing it back to its former glory and then sold it to an enthusiast when we moved up to Nottingham

• Upvote 4

Starting handles on cars.

Cliff Ton, National Savings stamps finished in 1976, the one depicted is from 1960. They retain their face value and can still be cashed in. However, like Premium Bonds they do not attract interest.

Speaking of Premium Bonds #2724, I'd better check mine.....

Oh! I have won £25 and SWMBO has won £50. That's nice. Champagne all round methinks :)

• Upvote 2

Floor start buttons on Minis. In the beginning they had a large button on the floor to start the engine.

• Upvote 1

I still have the premium bonds with face value £1 and £2 that my grandfather and his sister bought for me when they first came out. Now we get the electronic statement my husband said I should shred them. I said no as they are a bit of social history and they were gifts from those I no longer see.

• Upvote 1

My husband has £4 worth of Premium Bonds, bought in the 60s. He won £50 soon after we were married in mid 70s, that was around a week's wages in those day. Nothing since, understandably I suppose.

I topped my holding up to the maximum of £40,000 3 months ago and since then I've had £75 in March, £75 in April and £25 this month. Half of those winning bonds are the new ones.

• Upvote 2

I've got about 10 or 12 quids worth my mum left. Sod all in twenty odd years !!!! Typical !!!!

The return on Premium Bonds as an ' investment ' is pathetic, the chances of winning more than £100 as remote as the lottery. They make little economic sense. I frequently tell this my missus who has a very large holding. She gets a £25 here and there but refuses to get rid, because ' one day that million's coming.' ..... Ooh look, a flying pig! :wacko:

That's just my luck Lizzie. It's only money and I'd only squander it !!!!!