Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Points out of ten....

W the Pooh 10

Rupert 3

Paddington 6

Teddy Robinson 7

Any more bears out there?

Don't get upset, poohbear. I'm sure that MargieH meant to put 'very little braid.' We all know what a clever little ba bear you are, poohbear. :biggrin:

Careful who you're messing with....

cd24bd55.jpg

• Upvote 2

B Shirley #2814. I actually can't remember that particular bear you mention.... The brain cells that had stored that information must have gone, along with all the others! What are we talking about....I've forgotten....

• Upvote 1

I could have sworn that someone said "icicles hanging from the eaves" recently in this thread but I can't find it anywhere! Anyhow, for whoever may have said that you don't see them any more here is a picture of some on Gretton Road, Mapperley, in January 1987:

scan0005.jpg

Something I haven't seen for a while is a static wick on the back of a car. I believe there was a theory that this helped prevent car sickness.

tomlinson @ 2823 Those earth ticklers probly did some good. Old car electrics had body earth returns and car tyres had a lot more rubber in them so sometimes you were sitting in a big metal charged box, must have caused some people to feel ill. The body rot it caused was for certain, remember how the radio aerials always rotted in the wing? We can get 5 year body warranties now, some Vauxhalls were gone in 4.

Compo #2822

Where on Gretton road was that house ? I lived just around the corner, and the only one I can think of is George Varley's place, he was a local painter and decorator, the only other modern houses on Gretton, was 2 story on the bottom corner with Coronation road.

George was also a very decorated (excuse the pun) RAF pilot during the war, still had his handlebar mustache, nice bloke, his daughter Nina wasn't bad either :-)

Just looked on Google Earth and Gorges place, see here <iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m0!3m2!1sen!2sau!4v1433293448244!6m8!1m7!1s25p1G3i_CeKNnPf8MP7wxw!2m2!1d52.986482!2d-1.121584!3f108.7467607356334!4f1.360293099441293!5f0.7820865974627469"width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" style="border:0"></iframe>the roof is different and the front elevation is rendered, so maybe the rear view ?

Got me intrigued now, the only other similar house was the Wells residence across the road and further up, but that was an old place that was heavily renovated by the son Brian after his mum died.

Sorry to go OT with this.

Re those "earth ticklers" I recall a court case where the "inventor/seller" was barred from claiming they helped prevent car sickness, can't recall all the details but virtually made him brankrupt

I lived for a few weeks in a house at the top of Gretton Road. I thought this bungalow was lower down on the right as you go down from Mapperley Top. I may be mistaken because there is another parallel road, Bonnington Road and I could possibly have been walking down Bonnington at the time. Does that make more sense?

Just looked at Google earth and I think the house in post #2827 is the one. It is almost 30yrs since I took the photo so it may have been "Done up" since then.

• Upvote 1

I have recently thrown out an electric typewriter but I don't count that as a proper one.

• 2 weeks later...