Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Biscuit tins in shops. I used to buy broken biscuits from the shop just inside the Central Market on my way home from school in the mid-60s. here's one I bought the other day in a garage sale:

IMG_3360.JPG

• Upvote 4

Right, own up! How many of you draped yourselves over the dome on one of these? I know I did.....

bpDSC03955.JPG

• Upvote 2

It's an AMI continental 2 (1961-2). The earlier version (1960) had a rotary selection mechanism thus:

Continental-Wahlrad%25255B1%25255D.jpg

Liquorice was my favourite and still is. I remember the boxes with an assortment, but they were only received for Christmas. Any other time it was just a penny whatever.

We used to go to Aspley Cinema on a Saturday morning to see Flash Gordon etc. There was a sweet shop, diagonally across from the library, and my sister always bought us cinder toffee. Not because we liked it, but because you got a lot for your pennies. It had that awful, cheap chocolate on it that stuck to the roof of your mouth. I never ate much - probably another reason why she bought it! lol

Coats on the bed in winter :)

Biscuits at the grocer's in big, tin cubes with a glass panelled lid so you could see what sort they were. Sweets and biscuits were dug out of their containers by the shopkeeper and put in paper bags. No rubber gloves were worn but we all survived! :)

• Upvote 3

Re #2778 My Uncle Bill (Warren from Kimberley, known as Drummer) smoked a pipe. He was a miner. He was a belt and braces man and is very vivid in my memory. He would get what I thought was a stick of liquorice out of his pocket; cut about 3/4 inch off and rub it between his palms, then poke it into his pipe. Then he would get a coloured spill from a jar on the hearth and light it.

In a pub/restaurant in Scotland on our last trip, there was a little gift shop in there. There was a box of assorted licorice sticks, about 20 in the box, the same as the penny sticks of my childhood. Only the price was about £5! I remember that cinder toffee Sue, you are right about the cheap chocolate coating, spoilt it really.

I saw something today that I haven't seen for many a year while queuing at the checkout in Sainsbury's.

There was a young lady in front of me dressed very smart with a full head of rollers in, tied up with a sparkly

silver turban.

Funny that Sue,a few weeks ago i was driving up Southwark st,Basford,and a woman crossed the rd in front of me with full set of 'Rollers' in and wearing Pyjamas and slippers,.....it was about 11am and she gave me a wave as she crossed,............i'd like to think she got home ok or recaptured very quickly. :)

• Upvote 3

Went into the Old Peartree on Southwark St the other evening, and found it most pleasurable. A proper back street pub.

Not the greatest selection of beers, but as it was hot, I settled for two pints of Fosters.

got great family memories of 'The old peartree' pub FLY2,back in the 60s,sitting out the back among the actual Peartrees' with Granny and lots of long departed Uncles and Aunts,.......in the 80s a mate of mine used to keep it,Billy Wilson and his wife Pat,if i'm right another mates son runs it now Woody?

I hope that they take em out before hitting the town !!!!!!

Oh God !!!!! It doesn't bear thinking about. Perhaps I'm too choosy. LOL

Sue J #2866: That would have been a "Twist". Chewing tobacco that miners took down't pit. There was Twist and Condor "Plug". The twist was long and thin whereas teh plug was short and fat. Both were basically the same thing though.

• 2 weeks later...