Things you don't see anymore

My aunt and uncle had a wallpaper shop, I got their old sample books. Used a lot of pages for drawing paper, others covered my school books. The kids of today think they invented recycling, we did it decades ago.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Plastic carrier bags?never saw one when I was a kid.,mam had a big shopping bag.Also mam used to send me to a shop on heathcote street, to buy paper lunch bags to pack my dads snap in,they sold all sizes of paper bags which were sold by the pound (weight)wonder what happened to that shop?

#2881: I have a book on the shelf in front of me that is covered with wallpaper from many years ago - albeit a little tatty! :)

We had some old wallpaper books. We used the reverse sides for drawing paper. It's amazing how many uses an old piece of wallpaper has!

I remember when sliced bread first became popular. I wanted some because my mates were getting it for their packed lunches at school. My dad would have no truck with this pasty stuff so he would cut very thin slices from an unsliced loaf and tell us that it was the same as sliced bread.

Gumption

Oh !!!!!! It still is being produced then.

Reminds me of school, wooden stems for the nibs, small china ink wells, a big bottle of ink with a spout, the smell of it and the mess! Those were the days before progressing to Platignum pens that fell apart after a week or twos' use.

• Upvote 1

Benjamin #2895: It is indeed crap and junk, hence the name of my little museum: "Compo's museum of 20th century tat".

• Upvote 1

I was at a local heritage centre yesterday. The main displays were awfully dull and boring, as were the talks that went with them but passing an open door with the guide I saw a treasure trove of stuff hidden from public view. I asked the guide for a proper look and he begrudgingly obliged. The room was full of old stuff of all sorts and I spent a good old time rummaging through it all. Nothing was for sale but it made the visit worthwhile for me. The guide was a bit put-out when I suggested that they put it all on display to liven up the centre!

Sue J # 2865, Katyjay # 2867

The sweet shop was my grandma's - Dorothy's later owned by my aunt Nell.

I remember going into the stockroom and slavering with expectation when I unwrapped a sweet from a display tin only to find it was made of wood.

At Easter time I made and painted plaster of paris models of some Disney character pushing a barrow, we put an egg in the barrow and sold them in the shop, why am I not a millionaire?

Plaster of paris and rubber moulds I spent hours choosing the ones I wanted from a shop somewhere in town but I can't remember where it was.

• Upvote 1

every weekday for 5 years saw Players Sec mod School as a schoolboy in the late 50s, took wife to Bracebridge shops this a.m. - went along Denewood Cres. and onto Chingford, school gone, pile of Bricks, gates rusted up, i mean i hated that school, and the bullys that went with it, but i was really choked to see it gone, funny isn't it. got me to remembering teachers i had not thought of for over fifty years, Mr Gallagher, Head Teacher, Mr Jones, Mr Inskeep, form teacher, Mr Auckland, R.E., Mr Caulfield History, Mr Mills, music. perhaps names not meaning a deal to the rest of us but me. here i go tearfully mooding again, Sorry folks,

• Upvote 1

I went to Player Sec. school for about 18 months before moving to People's College. Teachers I remember

Jock Gallagher Headmaster, Nobby Auckland ?, Allen Wade P.E. Ex Nott's County and later the F.A.s Technical Director for almost 20 years, Geoff Bond Music, Barker science and Rugby, Sneath science, Jack Wright ? Marsden ? ran the boxing tournaments. Brand maths. A few disciplinarians in that lot but must say they were needed.

Dave, what years were you at Peoples College? I assume you mean the old school nr the Cathedral?. Hubby went there 58-63.

Plaster of paris and rubber moulds I spent hours choosing the ones I wanted from a shop somewhere in town but I can't remember where it was.

Still available from Amazon

mQkPFdqkxyGGRmg0JBm1nVA.jpg