Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Coal Fires, toasting forks.

• Upvote 1

Re #2936, I used to collect old brass toasting forks when I lived in an old cottage. I've still got about thirty under the stairs.

Difficult to display in a 3 bed semi.

Karlton #2932

I mix with all sorts - some who think they are better than others and some who feel they are not as good. It doesn't worry me who people are (or who they think they are) This, of course, has nothing to do with my little plaster cubes - my snobs! Since writing about snobs, I've tried to play the game and have realised that I'm not as good at it as I used to be. And why are they called snobs I wonder.... My mum said when she was young they played with pebbles and called it 'five stones'. Perhaps only the posh people could afford to buy the plaster cubes and that's why they were called snobs?

And does it matter?

Sorry for this rambling post...

#2902: Talking of plaster/rubber moulds, here is a gnome that I made from one of those moulds in 1977. I used sharp sand and cement instead of plaster and it still survives today, albeit in need of a lick of paint here and there! when I made him I gave him to my (late) mother, who named him Gregory after the road I lived on at the time (Gregory Street, Lenton).

IMG_3629.JPG

• Upvote 1

Even in that state, he's better than these plastic or resin objects.

• Upvote 1

#2952, The reason you don't see many children with their limbs covered in Gention Violet or Iodine these days; is because they don't play out like we used to. The only place they would need the treatment; would be on the end of their thumbs through texting or the fingers from over doing the Internet. :unsure:

Sadly they probably will never understand the fun of climbing trees (and not being able to get back down), or just playing in the fields all day, making dens, playing marbles, snobs, skipping, playing ball, or just sitting on the pavement, taking car numbers. I'm glad I did those things when I was a kid, actually, still do most of them now. Not collecting car numbers though. :biggrin:

• Upvote 7