Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

When I was very young, in about 1946 or 47, I remember seeing my mum mixing milk with a little butter in a dish. I thought that's what you were supposed to do - it was only when I was quite a bit older that I mentioned it to her and she said that it helped to make the ration go further when she was spreading it on bread. I think she only used margarine for cooking, but I'm not sure.

Wide necked milk bottles, like a narrow cooling tower. The lid was cardboard, no doubt waxed, was about 4cm dia. with a semi-cut circle in the

centre. Push the centre down with the finger and in one movement lift the lid off.

Brown greaseproof wrappings for Oxo cubes, before foil and when there was only one flavour - beef.

We never had a lot of money but I must say my mother wouldn't touch margarine with a barge pole. It had to be butter. I think it was something to do with her childhood days when all she ever got was the cheapest margarine or nothing at all!

Wide necked milk bottles, like a narrow cooling tower. The lid was cardboard, no doubt waxed, was about 4cm dia. with a semi-cut circle in the

centre. Push the centre down with the finger and in one movement lift the lid off.

Brown greaseproof wrappings for Oxo cubes, before foil and when there was only one flavour - beef.

I used to help the farmer deliver milk when I was a kid, I remember them well Spike, the birds had a peck at the tops sometimes. I was glad when silver topscame in you cold carry two in each hand.

I wasn't in Nottingham when these were around so i wonder if anyone here ever saw them. At one point, our milkman left us a plastic holder and then our milk started coming in sort of flat rectangular pouches that you put in the holder then snipped a corner off.

I remember a device for removing the foil tops of milk bottles. It looked like a flying saucer; a plastic disc with a raised centre which you pressed into the bottle top.

#3063 I believe they stopped using grease proof paper on OXO cubes when the stock market collapsed.

• Upvote 3

1/1d that must be really old AD Cliff,..............even i don't recall it being that cheap...lol.

Sugar was always the 'puller' for a special offer,remember having it on offer at 1/6 for 2lb,early 60s,

# 3054. We had Summer County margarine Benjamin. Does that mean we were well-off?

When i left school in 1960 i worked at Marsdens on Andover rd which was on a council estate,behind the shop were the Railway lines then the private houses on Hucknall rd,and it was mostly the customers ther that bought 'Summer county',so you must have lived the other side' of the tracks Lizzie,..lol.

Funny thing was,when i was the Granville delivering xmas orders,i always got the best tips on the council side of the tracks.

That's where I live now Benjamin, and I'm certainly not posh ! LOL

• Upvote 1

Getting your neighbours washing in when it rains. It`s pouring down here and Mrs Next door has got a lineful out. But in those days we didn`t tend to have six foot back gates with sturdy bolts. Pity though!

• Upvote 1

3074 # Fly....................947 Mrs Timberlake had a lovely Daughter.............921 so did Mrs Handley.........lol.

I wonder what they look like now Benjamin, some deteriorate rapidly, others mature gracefully.

I know which I prefer !!!!! LOL

Your'e right Fly...........often bump into a Lady ive known from School days,back then nowt to write home about............but now a really attractive 70 year old divorcee,.....................i asked her a few weeks ago 'if the wife kicks me out, any chance' ? she told me in no uncertain terms what i could do...lol.

• Upvote 1

Horse drawn milk carts. When I was a kid in Papplewick our milky had a horse and cart. The animal knew every stop and even seemed to know when folks were on holiday and didn't need to stop that time. My cousins husband worked on the mobile CO-OP van which came around regularly, I reckon that put paid to the horsey.

Red Seal,Silver seal and the most expensive Gold seal.,

Are you sure you're not talking about hash? :rotfl:

Re #3078, hard luck Benjamin, keep trying. LOL

Well you won't be seeing this fly ever again. Today is the last flight of AVRO Vulcan XH 558 final flight at The Robin Hood Airport, Doncaster.

I've just downloaded this with Clip Converter (free) & burning to DVD to watch again at my leisure, as they say, Enjoy !!

Takes fifteen seconds to "warm Up" !!

• Upvote 2

Enjoyed that catfan thanks, I live in between two other Vulcans,one at Newark air museum and the other up the hill at RAF Waddington but still nice to see one fly

Rog

• Upvote 1