Things you don't see anymore

I awoke in the middle of last night thinking of the white patch on bicycle mudguards during WWII that made cyclists easier to see in the blackout. These were still common in the 1950s and I remember them well:

raleigh_roadster_1950_17jun2007c.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Well there's a surprise, infiltrate by stealth.

• Upvote 1

Bad for your health....... Either of them.

must get one,could be an extra irritation to the 'whistlers' behind me in the supermarket,when i'm counting me coppers. :biggrin:

Compo, yes we've had snobs.... Still got mine from the mid 1950s but I'm not as good with them as I used to be

There are 3 kinds of snobs, actually (I think). As well as the two you thought about, Michael, there are those people who are rude about - or make fun of - people who are financially better off than they are, or more 'privileged' in some way, without knowing much about them. These kind of snobs seem to think that being less well off somehow makes them a better person than someone who has more money or a bigger house etc.

What do the rest of you think?

• Upvote 2

There are good people or bad(nice or 'orrible) in all walks of life & some deserve the Michael taking out of them

Eg "Loads of Money(Harry Enfield) rich but nasty

Alf Garnett Poor but nasty

And both are equally funny :)

I agree with BW, that there are 'good' and 'bad' in all walks of life, but I'm not sure about making fun of anyone in real life. The stereotyped characters in various TV programmes are a different matter - some are funny and actually point out the absurdities of particular personalities and social situations, which is a positive thing.

Catfan, I always offer delivery men Earl Grey tea and canapés............... and I've just told a porky pie!

• Upvote 3