Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I moved our old piano out to the big shed some time ago but I still have a giant Aspidistra on the half landing :)

Always remember a Great Aunts Parlour on Henrietta street,..........Aspidistra (well big plant) Piano,lots of Brasses,Picture of the King hanging from Picture Rail and a 'Companion set'............even her name fitted a Parlour.............Nelly Musgrave'

• Upvote 1

I still use a companion set with both multi-fuel and open fires. Since they stopped British miners from mining coal the price went up to Zillions of pounds per ton so I now use wood only as fuel.

#3340: Apparently, satchels are now back in fashion but cost around a hundred pounds each. They have become "Must have" fashion items for the Chelsea set and others of a similar ilk.

#3340: Apparently, satchels are now back in fashion but cost around a hundred pounds each. They have become "Must have" fashion items for the Chelsea set and others of a similar ilk.

Not my bag (see what I did there) but you need to shop somewhere else. They've got them on Amazon starting at around a fiver.

• Upvote 1
A po (chamberpot)
Po_zpswldqdmff.jpg

Compo's post (#3335), reminded me of a time when I was a young kid living on Grainger Street, Meadow Lane. My mother told me, my brothers, and my sister that her friend/relation (I can't remember which) was visiting. This lady was well off and very prim and proper. She'd spot some dust from 100 yds away so we all had to get the house spotless whenever she was coming. We'd all have to have a proper wash and wear our best clothes. We were told to stay in our bedroom (we all shared the same bedroom in the two bedroomed house) untill my mother told us to go downstairs. The lady arrived and sat down with my mother who had a pot of tea ready for her arrival. We could hear them laughing and talking and talking and talking, the visit seemed to go on forever. I was busting for a pee but we weren't allowed to go downstairs untill my mother told us to. Because we had an outside toilet we had a very large flower vase at the top of the stairs. It was there for use during the night when anyone needed a pee. My parents had their own po (chamberpot) under their bed. I stood at the top of the stairs nearly wetting myself. I couldn't wait any longer so I started to wee in the vase. When we used it at night we had to aim for the side of the vase so as not to make a noise. Because it was daytime, and I felt so relieved to be having a wee, it never occured to me to do this and I made a right noise as the vase started to fill. Later on, after the lady had left, my mother called us downstairs and was angry that I'd made such a noise and shown her up. She then said those dreaded words, "Wait till your dad gets home". In those days that meant the belt or the slipper. Later on that day he came home from work and my mother told him what had happened. I was prepared with a couple of comics down the back of my trousers and hoped he wouldn't notice. As my mother told him what had happened he started to smile, then he started to laugh until he had tears coming down his cheeks. He said that he couldn't stand her and wished he'd been there to see her face. Then my mother and the rest of us started laughing. I think that was the last time I saw the lady. :biggrin:
  • Upvote 8

Michael, I thought you were going to tell us that your dad used to use the same vase. Brilliant!

• Upvote 1

Another cost cutting exercise Carni. However, it does mean that you can devour them more quickly.

Kids with a long skipping rope stretched across the road. If you wanted to join in you had to 'take an end' until somebody was out. There were so many skipping games and rhymes to learn - usually from the bigger girls. (Sorry, usually girls). Many of the rhymes involved 'actions'. One that springs to mind is -

'I`m a little girl guide dressed in blue.

These are the actions I can do.

Salute to the King

Bow to the Queen

Show my knickers to the boys in green.

Dunno who the boys in green were supposed to be. Boy scouts perhaps?

• Upvote 3

Romantic times back then..............using a Guzunder and eating Pickled onions in't Tin-Bath..........eeh our Grandparents knew how to 'Woo' one another......

• Upvote 2

LOL...........ALOT.............i can see you have my humour Loppy......................did you ever see that episode of ;Steptoe' when the old man was eating Pickled onions in't Tin Bath,kept dropping em then fishing em out and carried on eating em............lol.

• Upvote 2