Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

#3531: I have fished Gunthorpe weir on a number of occasions in the long distant past (Lived at RAF Newton for a year); I'm with you there.

That's summat else you don't see anymore....operational RAF air bases in the Notts area.

Dunno, is Syerston still on the RAF books or is it just ATC Gliders, other than that the nearest I can think of is Cranwell at 28 miles and Waddington at 29 miles from the market square

I know this has been touched on before, but I sure wish they made a digital insert that would go into my old Canon Ftb. Just a museum piece now, but I've kept it. Like I said on another thread, I'm ""frugal". Tight, cheap, mean, stingy or whatever other adjective applies.

:->

I've not seen a silverfish since I was a child. They used to be regular residents behind our fireplace and dad would squash them on the hearth. All great fun.

• Upvote 1

Same when I was a child ValuerJim, but we moved into a house a few years ago that had an Aga and at nighttime the surrounding floor was covered in silverfish, it was gross. I sprayed the area every night and eventually eradicated them. Don't think they do us any harm but they're not nice.

Dunno, is Syerston still on the RAF books or is it just ATC Gliders, other than that the nearest I can think of is Cranwell at 28 miles and Waddington at 29 miles from the market square

I live over the river from Syerston. Mainly it's gliders but occasionally it's used for military training with Merlin and Chinook helicopters. Sometimes sounds of gunfire!

My son's house in Holland had lots of silverfish when he moved in a year or so ago .

He seemed to get obsessed by them and started sealing up all the gaps round skirting boards and door frames etc . Didn't bother us when we visited .

He has used all sorts of sprays but has now gone onto something called ericatious(sp?) earth , some sort of powder and that has kept them away .

Probably Diatomaceous earth. We can still get it here. Supposed to be a natural bug killer easy on the environment. We used to get Silverfish on the floor in our house in Netherfield. Haven't seen one since.

• Upvote 1

Re : #3526 Hi Jill; I think you're right there regarding EU. Colwick cheese was available in the Market but in many out of centre shops also. Grandma would deliberately leave a couple of bottles of milk on the step for a few days for it to go off. She would then strain off the whey in muslin by hanging it on the washing line. Just like the real thing. Get the salt and pepper out please!

• Upvote 2

With reference to silverfish: The oddest place I have seen them was in the electricians store and snap area, deep underground at Annesley colliery back in 1969.

Re #3538. Lizzie, I had a similar problem when I moved into my old cottage at Saxondale. The fireplace in the dining room had been filled with rubble and ballast, and bricked up. I decided to reopen it and install a Morso Squirrel multi fuel stove.

I removed the brickwork and infill, and was inundated with the slippery little devils. The inner fireplace was still in perfect condition, so after treatment with DDT and a scrub out with a solution of Jeyes Fluid, I inserted an oak beam, which doubled up as a mantelpiece, and built a brick hearth. I then painted the side and rear brickwork white, installed the stove and hey presto, never saw another silverfish.

I was chuffed to bits with my handiwork I can tell you.

• Upvote 3

Well, I'll be buggered Bubblewrap! Does it have EU PDO status, like Stilton and Cornish Pasties? Mum, dad, and grandma loved it but we kids gave it a wide berth.

Not seen a real tramp/gentleman of the road for years,I used to see one when I lived in Carlton,he seemed to be carrying everything with him.What happened to all these men,never saw a woman tramp.

Although I originate from the posh end of Chard Street, New Basford, I'm not trying to make out to be anything other than a Kerbstone Bumper when I tell you this.

Whole salmon of about 7/8 lbs were offered at a good price one day at my local market, some 30 odd years ago. A bargain too good to miss. So how do you cook it without cutting it up into steaks? The fishmonger told me in all seriousness how to do it if I had a dishwasher. The instructions were to wrap the fish in a parcel of Baco foil with butter, herbs and seasoning. Place the parcel in the top basket of the washer and put it on full hot programme. It was cooked to perfection.

I haven't seen a fish kettle for years.

• Upvote 1

Matthews Fullers Earth! Round flat tin with a beige coloured ointment inside. It had to be warmed to render it soft enough to use.

Perfect for chapped hands and feet in the winter. Healing properties were remarkable.

They don't make it any more. You can still get Fullers Earth but it isnt the same.

• Upvote 1

Men wearing cravats.. I had a gold and turquoise Paisley pattern silky one in the mid 60's when I was in my Mod phase.

God, I must have looked a complete twerp.

• Upvote 1

Fryers balsam for sore throats. Teaspoon of sugar topped with a few drops of the balsam. Nasty but it did the trick. Dont know if you can still get it

Just thought.....Kunzle cakes. I loved these and would have one at work for my lunch,.

• Upvote 1