Things you don't see anymore

Hands up anyone who hasn't draped themselves over the glass dome of an AMi Continental jukebox at some time in the past:

jukebox-ami-modell-continental-2-vj094-3

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Some comments about stuff on cars that you don't see any more.

"Club" locks on steering wheels

Wire "pingers" fitted to the wheel arches to help stop you hitting the kerb with your tyres.

Earth straps hanging on the back of the car to earth static electricity and to supposedly help reduce travel sickness

• Upvote 1

Ladies with a fox fur over their shoulder and a gauze veil over their face.

Ladies with a fox fur over their shoulder and a gauze veil over their face.

They were ladies?

'Pom Poms' Briefy very popular in the early 60s. Made from a sort of 'spun sugar' and available in either Mint or Strawberry flavour. We used to fight over them in the

'Off Sales' of the Deerstalker on Bestwood Estate. Unusually for the time, they were packed in polythene bags.

Col

Plastic fly deflectors on the front of car bonnets. Usually on a Ford Prefect, a Vauxhall Victor or Hillman Minx with white wall tyres, a two tone paint job and 'go faster' stripes.

Men touching their forehead or cap when a lady is present, men opening the car door for a lady, going to the bar instead of sending his wife/partner, men going to the pub Sunday lunch time to play domb'os or cards while good lady wife/partner is at home cooking dinner.

Thank goodness for women's lib!!!!

• Upvote 1

PS

I looking for a fox fur stole and a hat with netting as I'm off to ladies day at Southall Races. If any one has any of these would you please get in touch.

Compo. #3582

Last time I went to mablethorpe(couple of years ago),they had a few of these machines in an arcade,they used to have oother old machines,but all gone now.Where do they go?

When I was a kid growing up in colwick there were few shops, 2 up near the church, 2 in the centre and 2 down other end near balmorale Rd. does any body remember going to the shop and asking “ave yea got any broken biscuits” in those days biscuits came loose in large metal square tins and a lot got broke. So the shop keeper unable to sell them used to give bags of broken biscuits to any kid that came and asked. Always had to say please and thank you

I miss the "brick" ice cream the ice cream van sold before Mr whippy came about. It was rapped in paper and you had it between two waffers or in a square cone

They were delicious, nonna! Crisp chocolate shell and squidgy fillings! Mmmm!

Perhaps they sold them at Marsdens! Benjamin will know!

Marsdens! not herd that name in years...corner of bourne street & victoria road nrtherfield....dad always sent us to fetch his faggots from there

• Upvote 1

Thankyou Jill,......mastermind eh lol...............yes Nipper worked there early 60s,mentioned before but a few things i recall about Marsdens Netherfield,

Manager Stan Howard,and a lady named Lola with sexy voice,the only sit-up and beg phone i ever used,.........i was only about 16 or 17 and was told by the factory ladies i must stay open until 6pm (5.30 was the closing time) as they didnt finish work somewhere i think on Bourne st until 5.30,or they would inflict dire sexual acts on me...........obviously i stayed open,.......i was a relief manager at that tender age and caught two buses to get there from Bestwood estate.

• Upvote 3

#33598: Square (rectangular to be pedantic) cones! Haven't seen one for many years. You can still get the brick style blocks of ice cream but not in the different varieties that they used to be.

• Upvote 1

....and if that failed to rectify the picture, saying, "It must be the other end".

• Upvote 1