Things you don't see anymore

After it belonged to the fox, I think my grandma used to wear it. It didn't have a tail, so she used to clip the 'mouth' onto one of its back legs.

I am very much anti blood sports, but it did make an efficient draught excluder.

My mum was a farmer's daughter and she used to tell me how the 'men' used to provide food for the cubs, to keep them healthy till they were old enough to be hunted, also that on the evening before the hunt the following day, they blocked the foxholes so they couldn't get out to catch food during the night. On the morning of the hunt, the foxholes were cleared so the hungry fox could get out........ and then get chased to its death. I don't know for certain, but I suspect that should fox hunting be re-established, these practices would still be carried out in some form or another.

I know foxes do steal chickens and ducks etc but usually this is when the poultry haven't been safely and efficiently secured at night. Many foxes now take the easy option of getting food from the places where we throw away our waste food or from people who put food out specially for them. And IF, repeat IF a fox really has become a pest, there are other ways to sort it. There shouldn't be any enjoyment in chasing a hungry animal to its death.

• Upvote 6
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

If we're discussing what people like to call, pests, vermin, nuisances...call it what you like...let's not forget the most prolific and dangerous menace on this planet. For some obscure reason it goes by the name of homo sapiens and its numbers need curbing drastically before it destroys its own environment and that of every other living creature!

• Upvote 2

Well, I've done my bit. No children. I suspect the mistakenly named "Mother Nature" will sort it out for us one of these days. Nature is neither motherly nor concerned for our welfare, which means the result will probably be quite brutal but it'll be our own fault. We just have to ruin everything because we have no respect for our fellow creatures.

• Upvote 1

Lots of people say they don't like Shakespeare. I believe this is because they are forced to read him at too young an age, e.g. for GCE as it was in my day.

Shakespeare is about life and how many snotty nosed 16 year olds know anything about life? It's just too early. I marvel at the wisdom of Shakespeare and how it reflects my own, and others', experiences.

For instance, "Life's but a walking shadow. A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon a stage and then is heard no more. Tis a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing!"

How's that for being cynical? Shakespeare? love him!

• Upvote 3

I'm afraid this old world is due for a shakeup of major proportions, Jill. I forget the exact proportions given in the book of Revelation, but if I remember rightly about 2/3 of the world's population will not survive the catastrophe.

We may disagree on the ways in which this might happen, but I believe it will. Neither would it be the first time.

One of the main reasons I left the UK was that I thought our island was way overpopulated and that was back in the early seventies.

• Upvote 1

You could say that in a way we're not dissimilar to those pesky yellow jackets. Just attack everything else and behave aggressively with no thought for anything outside our own self interest.

Something will eventually pour something nasty down our hole, metaphorically speaking. The planet, I believe, can comfortably sustain something like a quarter of its current population, or maybe less. If it came to a choice between survival of the Siberian tiger or a few million homo sapiens, I'll have the tiger any day!

• Upvote 1

You're right. Shakespeare, like religion, was one of those things we were indoctrinated with at school back in the 50's. You had to accept him as being the greatest playwrite. On stage he was pretty dull but at the cinema where more "poetic license" was excercised it was good entertainment. He's not someone I've picked up again in later life. There's not much of his output staged at the local theatres these days so I guess he's not "box office". I do have his complete works - perhaps something fo the long winter evenings to see what I've missed.

Shakespeare can also ask us to look at our values which, in this materialistic and acquisitive age, is an uncomfortable experience for many.

"Poor and content is rich, and rich enough. But riches fineless is as poor as winter to him that ever fears he will be poor."

I find he's well worth study. I'll admit to having learnt a lot from him as I've grown older.

Not being a 'Shakespeare' buff.......but can appreciate what a fine wordsmith he was,with so many of his sentences still in our everyday use.Our drama teacher at Padstow Mr P.O.Price certainly entertained us with him,none more so when he once got into one of Shakespeares long speeches........he fell off the stage,rolled across the Piano and broke wind........to much applause from the assembled 4th form.........''alas poor Price was not amused.............

• Upvote 2

Actually the Bible can be quite funny in places too. I often think of the woman at the well. John 4. Jesus spoke to her for some time then said, " Go get your husband." To which she replied, "I have no husband." He responded. "Thou has well said, I have no husband. You've had five and the one you have now is not your husband."

Her response to that is priceless. "Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet." You have to laugh. Anything to avoid the issue. I believe God has a sense of humor. I do not believe he would have given us something He does not have.

• Upvote 4

Phone Cards

Yes Jill,.......and how about theepenny bits,silver tanners,Florins,ten bob notes,half crowns and farthings.............that would confuse all the clever clogs young uns,   wunt it.......................

• Upvote 1