Things you don't see anymore

20 minutes ago, NewBasfordlad said:

Still got quite a few of the imperial coins, no notes though as usual

I have got quite a few old coins, collected during the time we ran a shop. but during the 70s, everyone was collecting pre 194? silver coins and cashing them in as they had more silver in, so being in the privileged position of being in control of a till, we made quite a profit.

We also had a batch of half a dozen £5 notes from the bank, with a big ink run on them, I kept them in case it put the value up, but never got around to checking. Probably worth millions now.:P

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

What is happening to these pages, they have all changed.......I am to old for change......:(

Carni, Paul used to collect coins and he says it was pre 1947 that had a higher percentage of silver in.

• Upvote 2

'Silver' coins (3d, 6d, 1/-, 2/-, 2/6 and 5/-) up to 1919 were 92.5% silver. From 1920 to 1946 they were 50% silver - but from 1947 they were cupro-nickel with no silver content

• Upvote 2

Similar but rather less high value issue with 'copper' coins.  Some years ago I noticed that 'coppers' in my pocket were sticking to my magnetic ID Badge.

Seems they are now copper plated steel.

They'll be made of cardboard next.

Some are. 5p's gave steel in them, as I found one on the road recently that had gone rusty. 

Yes Broxtowelad.....even in Town and down the Embankment..........a lot better than all these stupid 'selfies'.....whats that about?........

Family sitting by open fire.  What would the Health and Safety Nazis say to this nowadays!

29251647176_253ba277f8_b.jpg

Pointed wooden swords and skirts tucked into knickers....more nightmares for the H&S police:

29206870751_5a5c5bb291_b.jpg

The first pint always went on the floor - they were practically impossible to pour from:

28710058584_201216fa08_m.jpg

And Gibbs Dentifrice toothpaste in a round tin that you rubbed your toothbrush against (to clean your teeth after sucking green mint imperials and acid drop spangles)

• Upvote 1