Things you don't see anymore

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Great photo Compo.  It highlights that now a parent would not leave children/babies in a push chair or pram outside a shop.  My mum told me that when I was a baby she left me in my pram to go into a shop and someone stole my teddy!  My grandfather went all over Nottingham to find another one for me.  I have a photo of me as a baby with the bear that was abducted.

• Upvote 1

No!  Nothing is sacred anymore, anytime, anywhere.  We live in an age when accountability and kindness are as dead as the Dodo.  It is reported if someone does a good deed anymore.  It is so unexpected.:(

8 hours ago, loppylugs said:

We live in an age when accountability and kindness are as dead as the Dodo.  It is reported if someone does a good deed anymore.  It is so unexpected.:(

You are right there LL. I wrote on a thread somewhere about the little kindness just before Christmas that happened to us. The knock on the door and a lady and daughter, handed Chris a card, inside they had written to kind neighbours that there are not many of these days.

A couple of weeks ago Chris opened the door (I missed it again, I must spend a tot of time in the powder room these days:rolleyes:) and that same lady had brought us a piece of her sons 21st birthday cake. We don't know them at all, but the little girl has obviously taken to us. Certainly brings on the feel good factor, kind acts for no reason are very few these days, that is probably why this has made such an impression on us. 

• Upvote 2

Was just in the supermarket and spotted Heinz 57 Sauce. It is the first time I've seen it here, and it rang a bell. Did we have this as children? Maybe you still get it there, I obviously don't look at the shelf it was on very often and just wondered. 

• Upvote 1

Obviously we had Heinz 57 Tomato Ketchup in the 60s.........but Heinz sauce (the brown stuff) was also sold.............''not alot of people know that''............7oz bottle about 2/-...........

Edit.........think it was called Heinz Ideal sauce'........perhaps DavidW...Can recall........

• Upvote 1

Bee top sauce and Camp Coffee just two I remember.

Master just came up with 

"Bobbies on the Beat"   "Weekly bin collectors"  "Chimney Sweeps"   "Bob a Job week"  "Rag Week"

I think his brain is working over time.

Ever since a kid, I've always preferred brown sauce to ketchup. I'd completely forgotten about Heinz Ideal, it wasn't common at all. I remember my gran would only buy B-Top and OK which was very fruity. We always had Daddies and later Hammonds came out. I like HP best, originally from Nottingham of course.

• Upvote 1

Mary don't forget 'Bev coffee' in bottle like Camp,made by Lyons........and bottled 'Bon' coffee made by Brooke-Bond.......

Thats right TBI..........HP then moved to Birmingham........remember the big sign just off the main rd into Brum...........OK Fruity forgot about that one...........

• Upvote 1

This has reminded me of those saddle-bags that used to hang on the back of your bike, buckled onto the back of the seat, into two little holes provided. Because I had quite a big one on mine, if I was daft enough to let mam find me, she'd send me to Gem to get her shopping bits for the day, it was cheaper than Arky. Over suspension bridge and off up Loughborough Rd, a right palaver. Still, as a treat I used to get myself a bowl of crinkly chips and little button mushrooms in Gem's caff. Brown sauce on, of course

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 17/01/2017 at 11:27 PM, Oztalgian said:

Compo  #3860

That picture would make a terrific jigsaw puzzle.

Are the cigarette ads deliberately blurred or is it condensation in the window?

Judging by the fog in the streets I would guess that the window was full of condensation. Those were the days when we awoke to ice patterns on the inside of our bedroom windows :)