Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

There's a chippy in Glasgow called "The Oxford Chippy" that does fritters.  You can get a big fritter on a cob for 90p.

• Upvote 1

Blue Peter used to do a bottle top collection each year for "Guide dogs for the blind".

5 minutes ago, Compo said:

You can get a big fritter on a cob for 90p.

Turn it in Compo,I'm supposed to be on some sort of diet,oh sod it I might do a couple for me dinner with a nice runny egg to dip me cob in,diet will start again tomorrow     maybe

Rog

Memories: Comments very welcome.......

Cinema seats

33548132131_20c94bdaea_c.jpg

Buttons A and B

33521125692_d751367f72_c.jpg

1964 Honda motorcycle

32834734724_28bde0e63d_h.jpg

Steel Bucket and spade

32835849434_8245d7c97c_c.jpg

Pop Gun

32865712753_bb5a1e4d93_h.jpg

MkI Mini with pull-chord doors, sliding windows and start button on floor.

32864215563_68d111b3b2_h.jpg

Hillman Imp - gone and almost completely forgotten :)

33548155471_192c9deb12_h.jpg

• Upvote 1

Fellow Nottstalgia member LizzieM has sent me these two pictures taken some where on Mapperley Hall Drive with the question some one on here may be able to answer.

What are they ?

IMG_2053_zpsjxio2yaa.jpg

IMG_2054_zpstu0mufiy.jpg

My first thought was perhaps a fire hydrant ?

I think they are disused fire hydrants of a type where the 'doinz', outlet/hose fitting, screws onto the top. However, a disused water pump is also a possibility.  I recall seeing these all over the place when I was a young'n.

• Upvote 1

At last compo someone talking my language 'doinz'..........along with 'whatsits' oojars and 'gubbins'..........lol.

• Upvote 2

Gotta watch it though.  If yer get yer oojars mixed up with yer gubbins yer gonna have some right doin's followed up by a kaniption.  Not to mention a knockin in yer ball joints.

• Upvote 1

How about this as a prime candidate for the red standing thingamyjig?  It may be one of these but with the top gubbins removed.

https://www.lassco.co.uk/a-victorian-style-cast-iron-standpipe-40269

• Upvote 2

Loppy and Compo........this is so understandable.......think i could take a Degree in it........at the University of 'Whatsername'......lol.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Brew, that the exact one too.  We've lived here for 12 years and I've walked past it so many times and always wondered what it was, mystery solved! 

I noticed one exactly the same on Hucknall Rd this afternoon. Same shape, and same colour. It was almost opposite the Tesco Express in the old Atrium building. 

Being in a similar area to MP, and also pretty hilly, then I suppose there's many still in the surrounding area.

A remarkable family resemblance ! LOL Thanks Cliff, I'll look out for more in the surrounding vicinity in future.