Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

The owners could be running it on reclaimed cooking oil,seems to be quite a good business

Rog

The engine wouldn't last very long though!! Used cooking oil has to be refined before pouring into the tank, I was thinking of doing that to run my tractors on. It's a messy job and requires a couple of chemicals which makes the process hazardous. After the "final" product is finished, it's left to settle off, top stuff is fuel, bottom stuff which is thick and gooey is lanolin, which can be turned into home made soap.

There's some good sites and a few videos on Youtube showing the process of turning your waste chip pan cooking oil into synth diesel.

Waste cooking oil contains water, acids that will screw up your injector pump and lots of solids that will block the fuel filter.

I have a knitting machine had it for years,but you don't see them in such as John Lewis anymore,I think maybe they have stopped making them.

I remember in the 70s and 80 s seeing people queuing at a market stall in vic centre to buy wool for knitting machines.

I remember an aunt had a knitting machine and produced some really good stuff for my cousins. The problem was that when my career advisor at school suggested 'knitting' as a job I could only imagine sitting at one these machines whacking the thing side to side for hours and then hand sewing the pieces together and so rejected it outright.  By a strange twist of fate my first 'proper' qualification was HNC in textiles from the then Nottingham Technical College and became part of the quality control dept; for Rouquinet who made fabric for ladies underwear (elastic girdles).

This has made me think. Every company I've ever worked for no longer exists, even the mighty electricity board is no longer around. If you count all the temporary/part time jobs whilst at uni that's quite a big number.

Do you think I'm a jinx?

They are still around and being made by several companies, but pretty expensive.

On 18/04/2017 at 11:55 PM, poohbear said:

Invented by  a Nottingham lass....Bertha Power and made by Jim Crookshanks 'Crooky Crisps'

Wasn't the Crooky Crisp factory in Daybrook, off a small street behind Morley's factory?

#4023: Blackamoor Stout was a Kimberley brand name if I remember correctly.

Yes it was a "sweet" stout. The label would be non PC these days, same as the Robinson's golliwog.

All the local breweries had their own stouts. Home Brewery had Home Stout, Shipstones had Ship Stout and Mansfield had Extra Stout.

You never see Brown Ale much these days except the Newcy Broon.  All the locals also had their own, Kimberley, Special Brown Ale, Shipstones and Mansfield had Nut Brown Ale, I can't recall if Home brewery had a brown ale?

Image result for kimberley brewery

• Upvote 1

Oztalgian: What do you mean, "You never see Brown Ale much these days except the Newcy Broon"?  There are forty bottles of Brown Ale up in my attic awaiting maturity - yummy! Home-made, of course.

smile2

• Upvote 2

The Tusker.  This tool is used for manually cutting peat for use on domestic fires.  Still in use by a few but hardly ever seen.  this one lives in my shed:

22549199669_e6c6001a5c_b.jpg

Not worth it Broxtowelad as if you did you would only get back 4d.

Spotted another hydrant this morning on the north side of Castle Blvd almost opposite Palatine St. Nicely restored too.

Another one for me to tick off !

October13ride1.jpg

Plenty of this type out here,I think every village has at least one,(not the trike)

Rog

• Upvote 2

Re # 4054. Come on Cliff, you're slipping. Any chance of a pic ?