Things you don't see anymore

Rosehip syrup was a vitamin C supplement, today it comes in tablet form.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Crankypig, there are still reins for kids but they look very different these days.   They have been updated so they look as if the child is wearing a little rucksack on their back.  There are also 'reins' which go round the child's wrist - the kids don't seem to mind, and I suppose it's preferable to breaking free of holding mum's hand and running into the road.  They are especially useful when someone is looking after 3 or more toddlers..... for example a childminder.

2 hours ago, crankypig said:

Things you don't see any more.

People using reins on kids

We used reins for my son about 14 years or so ago when he was about 2.

You can make out the harness on this photo taken in Kensington Gardens.

James20and20squirrel20in20Kensington20Ga

• Upvote 1

Should have got a photo but I was on the bus and me camera was in me bag but,Just off Tritton road Lincoln there is a factory chimney,the old brick type and there was smoke coming out of it,alright not something "you don't see anymore" but a rare sight none the less

Rog

• Upvote 1

Never seen a 360 on a swing, not even sure I believe it can be done... but I could be wrong

Yesterday's treat for today is sugar coated bon-bons:

34151875743_fc0ac348ef_m.jpg

When I was a kid ,there was a woman on our street who seemed to be always sitting in her front window using her sewing machine..she used to make all sorts for the neighbours,curtains,clothes,you don't see that now,well not where I live.

4169.  Brought back a memory of being a kid on a street in Netherfield where a lady used to take in sewing.  Seems like she always started about five p.m.  My grandma's telly used to have a fit. Right when the Lone Ranger came on.  She eventually got a suppressor.  The ladies machine, that is, not me grandma.  ;)

• Upvote 1

Like the old days of basic tv's loppy, every time a Jap 'car' drove past, the picture would go all hazy and wobbly.

It was so bad you couldn't see the picture anymore and it made a buzzing crackling noise in the sound.  I think it was removed by the GPO coming around and getting a fix on where it was coming from.  They then fitted the suppressor.

5 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Like the old days of basic tv's loppy, every time a Jap 'car' drove past, the picture would go all hazy and wobbly.

I seem to remember, living in Lincolnshire, we had the same trouble whenever a bus (made in Gloucestershire) went past.

Sparks caused radio frequency transmissions over a small area around the vehicles; a suppressor (Capacitor) acted as a sink for these and lessened the effect on the telly screen and sound.

• Upvote 1

The capacitor in the distributor wasn't for RF suppression, but was to quench the arcing at the points when the opened to prevent "ignition bounce", without it the engine ran erratically and your points burned up VERY fast. The manufacturers introduced resistive high voltage leads to reduce "RF noise" not much else could be done prior to full electronic ignition systems.

Oops! I get worse....I meant the fitting of a capacitor to electric motors such as the sewing machine, to suppress the arcing at the commutator - NOT vehicles.

I refer the honourable gentleman to post #4177.  A condenser in vehicle peak is a capacitor.

I misread your post then Compo, condenser is the old name for capacitor, you'd probably still find a few old radio repair men who would still refer to caps as condensers. 

Even in some of my old manuals, you'll still see condensers, early to mid 50's, DC was worse for "commutation".

• Upvote 1
On 6/1/2017 at 2:06 PM, FLY2 said:

When I had my Honda 50 Mam could tell when I was near home by the interference on the telly. One afternoon I'd put a new chain on & was riding up & down the road to bed it in: An irate neighbour came running out shouting at me saying I'd ruined he TV picture - oops..