Things you don't see anymore

Real glass milk bottles, brown paper carrier bags cost 4d, money back on pop bottles 3d, blue sugar bags, butter in a large tub ready to be patted up. real potted (dog) meat, port and ruby wine from the wood, coal men, milk men (a few left), petrol 4/6 a gallon, fish chips wrapped in news paper, and there's more. Give me 5mins to think about them.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

If you have beer in larger bottles, especially without a stubby holder, it gets warm too quickly although having said that you can get it in 750ml bottles for when you are drinking with your mates.

If you go into the pub and order a pint here in South Oz you get 425ml which is three quarters of the British pint.

I don't but the other day I was furtling through my late Mother in Law's shoe-box-of-bits and came upon a bag containing half a dozen long, vicious looking pins with different decorative knobs (can't think of a more appropriate word for them).from fancy jewelled ones to plain beaded ones. Interesting. Don't know how efficient they'd be to keep a hat on but used as a defensive mini-dagger I reckon one of them could give a mugger a nasty perforation!

• Upvote 3

A Superking cigarette was 100 millimeters long, they made them 99 millimeters long to keep them under a certain price say 6 quid 8 quid later on they sold them in 19s to keep them under a tenner & then 18s to keep them under a tenner.

Bilborough Shirley #4229: I don't think that reducing the amount of available toilet paper on a roll will have any effect on the sewage plants, simply because people will still use the same amount on each occasion.  We have a septic tank and each time we get female visitors we have to ask them not to put No1s toilet paper or santiary wear down the loo.  It blocks the pipes and causes the tank to clog.  Each emptying now costs hundreds of pounds, so if we can keep the amount of paper down, we can keep costs down.  Used paper goes into the multi-fuel burner during spring, autumn and winter months and onto the compost during summer.

• Upvote 1

We call them "penny washers" and use them for a multitude of things in  repairing of machinery,still get them,they are called "repair washers" at the suppliers

Rog

• Upvote 1

In the early 1960s a friend, whose family was better-off than mine, had this game.  I used to love playing with it. Does anyone remember it?

35876901970_90848b7702_b.jpg

36137692241_42acd959f2_b.jpg

• Upvote 1
On 20/07/2017 at 9:44 PM, woody said:

And to add insult to injury, if you managed to get to David's Lane from Hucknall you had to go back to Bulwell to get a shuttle bus!!!

Not so you could get a bus into town from the David Lane bus stop.( I did it twice.)

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:19 AM, nonnaB said:

Does anyone still use hatpins.?

Yes my mum, but only when wearing posh hat if she starts to carry it in her bag I will be worried.

1 hour ago, Compo said:

In the early 1960s a friend, whose family was better-off than mine, had this game.  I used to love playing with it. Does anyone remember it?

35876901970_90848b7702_b.jpg

36137692241_42acd959f2_b.jpg

Yes I had one for Christmas one year

• Upvote 1

Probably been mentioned before - car windscreens don't get splattered with insects like they used to.

I thought it may be to do with modern cars being more aerodynamic but my old truck screens were quite blunt and the trucks still kept up with motorway traffic. 

Where have all the insects gone?

Motorways are devoid of insects, except in the inside lane, and A roads keep having their speed limits reduced, such as the A 614

On 31/07/2017 at 7:41 AM, PeverilPeril said:

\snip\

Where have all the insects gone?

During May there is a massive hatching of flies from the local loch.  They rise in columns so dense that they look like smoke.  At this time of year it is the turn of minute midgies that roam around in huge gangs.  They fly in swarms sometimes millions strong and cause havoc on warm damp evenings.  On a clear evening during summer, when the sun is shining in that slanty way that only happens during summer evenings, I can look out over the railway and see the atmosphere seemingly solid with flying things of all sizes. So, there are still plenty of insects around if you live outside the cities.

4249.  Same here, PP.. It used to be you needed bug and tar remover to get 'em off the bumper,  headlights and windshield.  Now I can go weeks between washes and hardly see any.  Wonder if we should be worried?  :bluespin04:

Jogged a memory of Dad driving the family back in the dark from Kegworth to Nottingham...the stretch past Gotham where moths by the thousand flashed by in the headlights with the occasional 'SPLAT!' as one of the bigger ones hit the windscreen.

Maybe insecticides on farmland is the problem. Plenty of insects wherever there is water. I always keep my mouth shut when cycling over Blithefield Reservoir causeway. Also, the air pollution on roads has increased - not the place that anything with a choice wants to be. 

Some have suggested that mobile phone radiation could be a factor?   I don't know about the UK but there has been a big die off of Honeybees here.  This can be a serious problem re. Pollination of crops.  Strange days.  :(

• Upvote 1