Things you don't see anymore

Is it that there are fewer insects where you are or is it that modern cars are more aerodynamic and the flies, birds, etc. tend to go over the car like air does over an aeroplane wing, rather than splatting against the car front?

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Compo said:

Is it that there are fewer insects where you are or is it that modern cars are more aerodynamic and the flies, birds, etc. tend to go over the car like air does over an aeroplane wing, rather than splatting against the car front?

Already covered that point Compo. Must be part of the reason but my old Toyota pickup with a blunt screen did not get splattered (and I drove it hard). When the first 'jellymold' Sierra came out it was regarded as very aerodynamic, but mine used to get heavily splattered. 

Number plates used to become almost unreadable. Plates are the same size and flat but they don't get splattered like they used to.

Having visited this weekends Riverside Festival Saturday afternoon/night, Mrs Red commented that white young girls 12/13/14 no longer look or dress like young girls? There seems to be a trend to wear a very tight bra to push anything they have skywards, also some very broad weird looking penciled eyebrows, have they never seen what eyebrows look like? Also seems to be trendy to have a black lad in tow?

What started the conversation with Mrs Red was "why do you not see kids with loads of face spots anymore?" do they all stay in? or has the acne problem been solved? Which now made us look for a spotty faced kids? None!    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Might not have been spots,they could have been splattered flies,perhaps todays youngsters don't go as fast as in previous years,or perhaps they aren't so aerodynamic,slywink

Rog

• Upvote 2

Me and my mates got those 'Sherlock' Peterson pipes when we were aged about 17-18. We'd meet up in the TBI and all sit chuffing away, blowing clouds of sweet smelling smoke ( no only Balkan Sobranie or B&H, lol ). Looking back, you'd think we'd have got some odd looks but no-one batted an eye-lid.

As an ex-smoker it is a disgusting habit.

• Upvote 1

Offensive is a strong word for smokers,the majority of which are careful where they smoke nowadays...........even if in open air and i sit on a bench where others are i ask if they mind if i smoke?..........times have changed since the majority of people were smokers (and a good thing) ,but some folk take their anti-smoking too far,...........on my recent holiday i took issue with a bloke who complained about my smoking,i was sat outside a bar which was a designated smoking area and supplied ash-trays........i told him to 'MOVE'............

• Upvote 5

I love the aroma of a good quality cigar. I enjoy the sense of 'occasion' when cigar smoke is about. Used to enjoy a decent cigar. Villiger were my usual smoke.Often tempted to try one again but one may lead to two......... 

• Upvote 1

I've only ever known a couple of people who smoked pipes, and what fascinated me is that they hardly ever actually smoked it.

They spent most of the time tapping it, knocking it on the table-top, poking around with some kind of knife-thing inside the bowl, trying to light it, puffing like mad trying to get it to stay alight, looking at it as though it was some kind of alien, or just generally battling with it in a fight they never won.

• Upvote 4

As an ex smoker I now detest the smell, I also feel rather foolish that I did smoke, I also cannot stand the smell of those vape things, if I was young free & single, a smoker would not get a looking in, I could not be in the same room they stink, I have took issue with folk smoking near me, the dirty ba5tards, it also kept my in employment for 25 years :crazy:

• Upvote 2
43 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

They spent most of the time tapping it, knocking it on the table-top, poking around with some kind of knife-thing inside the bowl, trying to light it, puffing like mad trying to get it to stay alight, looking at it as though it was some kind of alien, or just generally battling with it in a fight they never won.

Never had those problems but the worst part was afterwards, getting those furry pipe-cleaners shoved in and getting all the horrible stinky tarry gunge out of it. Ugh.

Hate those vape things too, they seem to produce more smoke than an old steam train.

Same position here too red, I loved a smoke for most of my life, since packing up I hate the smell, especially when I can smell stale fag smoke on peoples clothes when they get on the bus. As for those vaping things,if you're packing in then pack in once & for all instead of swapping one addiction for another. Saw a woman with one of those vaping things last week & it was like looking at a steam engine in full steam smile2

If one wears freshly cleaned clothes on a daily basis.......there is no aroma of stale tobacco ,.........having a shower/bath every day also helps......many blokes stink and its nowt to do with smoking..........:crazy:

• Upvote 3

The same person used to have a perforated hinged protective cover over the bowl of his pipe. He was a model aircraft enthusiast and one day he was leaning over a model to admire it when the contents of his pipe dropped out and ignited the doped tissue and balsa wood leading to a spectacular conflagration!

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

If one wears freshly cleaned clothes on a daily basis.......there is no aroma of stale tobacco ,.........having a shower/bath every day also helps......many blokes stink and its nowt to do with smoking..........:crazy:

Not everyone does !

Two showers a day in the summer months !  I love the feeling of being clean and fresh !

I said many blokes catfan....not all,................same with smokers.....they don't all stink of stale bacca.................!!!

Nothing more alluring than a good looking woman with a faint aroma of of players number 6,................LOL.