Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

You don't smell it when you smoke, I have a yearly visit to an in-law usually stay around 20/30 mins unless I can get out of it, in time he'll have three fags, when I leave I can feel it on my skin & my clothes stink.

A few weeks ago on a nice day sat outside the Bell with Mrs Red, two women with their husbands sat on the next table with their back to us, when they lit up after each drag they put the fag behind their back, the smoke was allover me, I have perfected quite a loud choking exaggerated type cough, eventually one turned round "sorry is it bothering you?" "Yes It f**king is" They looked for some support from their none smoking husbands & got none :crazy: they soon moved, I'd gone before the Police turned up.     

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

284 RR..........I don't smoke in the house or car or near kids,...........also don't swear to make my point

283 catfan.....i was being jocular..............but i'll leave it there..........

• Upvote 2

Thats ok then young Michael...........i could hear the tune of 'high noon'........as we stood facing each other........on Bulwell main street........lol.

• Upvote 1

What a lousy rotten day weather  wise.  Not stopped raining all day here in Bulwell & not warm either.

Last Tuesday we went to Portsmouth to the dockyards & the weather was glorious, even had to cool off with a few beers afterwards !

P1060352.jpg

P1060369.jpg

P1060394.jpg

P1060431.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Saw the 'Victory' when I was 5 or so.  Me dad was a sailor based in Portsmouth.  Looks like the Victory is still in good shape.  Can't say the same for Admiral Nelson though. ;)

• Upvote 2

My dad was also in the navy during WW2. He volunteered for DEMS duty and spent most of his time in the tropics. According to some of the tales he told, the merchant ships to which he was assigned were almost as old as those in Catfan's photos and the guns they were supplied with had been removed from museums. Most had no ammunition anyway. He was happy enough. He got paid twice, by the Royal Navy and the Merchant Navy, plus bounty...and I don't mean the chocolate bar! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 4

images-1.jpg

I can remember when these were in every branch of Woolworths! There was one in the Radford Road branch and, as a child, I'd pester my mum for a penny to weigh myself. This one is in the The Market Hall in Derby. Now costs 20p!

The biscuit counter and the big red scale. Happy memories of Woolworths!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Chinmeys being swept.  This is my chimney sweeping brush thrusting out of my living room chimney pot this week:

36764091972_428d50298c_h.jpg

36126781873_bc9b5ee1f0_h.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Objecting to the proliferation of industrial wind farms in rural Scotland is like pissing in the wind but one has to make the effort.

• Upvote 1

Many of my shirts came with brass collar stiffeners, absolute buggers to get out the washing machine drum if you forget to remove them first.

• Like 1

I have seen the plastic ones but never brass,how old are they? and can you still get seperate collars for shirts,I think some of the early collars were made from rubber,

Rog

1 hour ago, plantfit said:

Can't remember having seen any for sale but I seem to think my grandfather had some

Rog

Had some in the 60s Rog.........the collars were like hard cardboard.......and had collar studs,....can't recall where i used to buy em

also remember Collar Pins,usually gold coloured,through the collar under the Tie.....wore them alot 60s 70s'.......then came the big Collars.....gold medallion......John Travolta style,also had a nearly white suite and big bouncy nearly white shoes,....ooh ooh ooh 'Staying alive'..............lol.

• Like 1