Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Both my grandfathers wore loose collars. Maternal grandfather wore stiff, winged collars with a dickie bow or cravat right up to his death in 1965. He was a very snappy dresser!

Paternal grandfather wore those types of collar during the second world war when he had a post of some seniority at Chilwell Ordnance Depot.  His relationship with my grandmother had been somewhat, shall we say, strained ever since she discovered he was having an affair in 1928 and she retaliated by doing anything she could to make him pay for it.  This included starching his collars and ironing them inside out to make them extra difficult to put on! :blink:

• Like 2

Wives have a way of really getting revenge............the nearly white suite i mentioned was my pride and joy late 70s.............ex took scissors to it, mind you i had set fire to her red 'trouser suit'............lol.

LOL.............its ok Jill........we still love each other in a very platonic way.........and laugh about our ups and downs..........last time i visited her which i do when im down her way...........she got some old photos out of us together.......she had cellotaped em together........obviously having scissored them at some time.,i also get on in a funny way with her current husband (hes the third since me) he's a bit of a Carpenter and when he knows i'm coming goes and makes a gate or build a fence in the next Village..........bless him..........lol

• Upvote 2

Yes i noticed that Jill.............she's a dead ringer for Liz in Corrie........but speaks posh nowadays...........makes me laugh when we have a gathering of the Clans............she's all ...........'oh hello,be over shortly'.......oh super yah'....wow thats divine'....must have a catch up'' how wonderful must go to  Florida again...........i whisper in her ear..............yo from Stabbo what you talking like that for''.........she smiles and whispers in mine..........F... off Ben (real name) love it........and i know she does....................

• Upvote 1

"Hot Pants"

• Like 2

The place I buy my shirts still sell spare brass stiffeners, £4.95. Once i lose them though I don't bother replacing them. A light spray with starch is just as good but I rarely need to dress formally now days

In another life the shop I worked in part time, ( I was fired for stoking the boiler in the basment until it glowed red) sold paper collars

9 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Wives have a way of really getting revenge............the nearly white suite i mentioned was my pride and joy late 70s.............ex took scissors to it, mind you i had set fire to her red 'trouser suit'............lol.

Did she want hot pants Ben ? ;)

• Like 1

Keep it that way Rog...........Wetherspoons that is..........lol.

I only wear shorts in odd kick-abouts football,........or on the garden if its really hot..........and on holiday...........never ever walk the streets in em in this country..........no matter what the weather..........

Not exactly shorts, but short trousers.

When I was at infants and junior school, almost all boys wore short trousers. You didn't move into long trousers until you went to secondary school; whereas now it seems to be long trousers from the beginning.

Long trousers except in Summer, the little boys at our local primary school often wear grey shorts as part of. their school uniform.  By little boys I mean 7 years old and younger..

On 06/09/2017 at 5:20 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Yes Rog,most of mine have them,

Can anyone remember buying collars seperately? 

My days in the RAF began with the daily chore of fastening collar studs.

thumbsdown