Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

We had a paraffin heater in the kitchen at home in the mornings, of course that was in the days when we had severe winters and no central heating, ice inside bedroom windows and a cold nose when you woke up!  The only room in the house was the sitting room with the coal fire.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Yes, we all had those in the 50's and 60's. H&S would have palpitations these days.

When I was born...almost 60 years ago, we had a paraffin heater. Mum bought it in 1950 when my sister was born. Terry nappies were still rationed then...as were many things...and mum didn't have many. If the weather was wet and she couldn't dry them outdoors, they were ranged on the clothes horse in front of the Paul Warma heater. It was made of stove enamel and had a fuel reservoir that lifted out of the back by means of a handle.

I too remember freezing cold bedrooms with Jack Frost fronds inside the window panes. Although there were fireplaces in the bedrooms, there were no fires unless anyone was ill or confined to bed. Over the winter of 62/63, everything froze, even the water main in the road. We really appreciated our paraffin heater then!

39b3eb0df84d31ef2804eda013c92f.jpg

This is an almost identical model to ours!

images-4.jpg

• Like 2

We had one of those heaters in the garage where I was an apprentice, we also had a large paraffin tank in the back of the garage where we sold the stuff to the public,one day the tank was almost empty and a customer arrived wanting some paraffin,he always had five gallon at a time,before he came into the garage we quickly filled our small heater tank with paraffin and rushed back in the office to put the small tank back in the heater which was still lit,needless to say quite a bit of paraffin was dripping from the small tank all over the flame when we attampted to put it back in the heater, whoosh,the bloody thing went up in flames, so as not to set fire to the whole office my mate (another apprentice) quickly picked up the heater and rushed outside with it and set it down on the pavement outside the garage, safe we thought until we saw what was above the now well burning heater,it was the petrol pump boom hoses that went from the fuel pumps over the pavement to the road side,(remember them?) panic overtook us,we couldn't use the fire extinguishers (which were the small brass water filled hand pumped type) because the day before we had a water fight with them and they were empty, all ended fairly well though,we just pulled the pump hose boom back over the pavement to the side of the garage and let the excess paraffin burn out, Sorry it's a long winded post but at least it's off my chest now and can I take this opportunity to appologise to Denys who had the shop next to the garage for giving him and his customers the potential for a heart attack

Rog

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
11 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Oh have I got the wrong sort of paraffin!!! ??

I thought you were joking; deliberately meaning the wrong sort of paraffin! Bum-bum-bum-bum....Esso Blue ;)

5 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I too remember freezing cold bedrooms with Jack Frost fronds inside the window panes. Although there were fireplaces in the bedrooms, there were no fires unless anyone was ill or confined to bed. Over the winter of 62/63, everything froze, even the water main in the road. We really appreciated our paraffin heater then!

You were obviously upmarket !  At least you had fireplaces in the bedrooms. In a 1950s council house we didn't even have the luxury of an empty fireplace; it was either a paraffin heater or a one-or-two bar electric fire. The designers obviously thought that any kind of heating upstairs was unnecessary.

I thought Lizzie was joking about the medicinal paraffin being sold by the galleon. It brought to mind the telly adverts "Esso Blue" and  Alladin's "Ring for Pink" :)

A pal's father smoked Parkie plain.  He was from Czechoslovakia and had a strong accent - called them "Sags" meaning "Fags".

A few more to bring back some memories

Remington electric shaver

P1060083.jpg

Shippo's beer barrel

P1060084.jpg

Be-Ro cakes,scones and puddings

P1060108.jpg

OXO using economy cuts of beef

P1060109.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Here's a photo of some techy bits from my little museum.  The micrometer and vernier calliper are courtesy of our very own Plantfit:

37240185281_03068f0133_h.jpg

• Like 1

A Rover 75 seen at Dwarwick Pier, Caithness,Tuesday19th Sept. 2017.  Note that it still has trafficators, despite having indicators fitted. I wonder if this was a factory-fit job during an interim changeover period of manufacture?

36571075963_e6b60aa3da_h.jpg

37382930625_2f966de198_h.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Those green polythene strips that you placed inside the top of your car windscreen to prevent sun glare.