Things you don't see anymore

Bicycle saddle bags,quite rare to see one these days,I don't use this one anymore,I've not got a bicycle,I ride a proper bike now

P1060119.jpg

Rog

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Saddlebags were good for some tricks too.  In the cycling club I was in, somebody put a brick in a guy's saddlebag as a joke.  The victim was stopped by a copper riding home late at night.  The cop inspected his saddlebag and found the brick.  He had a hard time persuading the cop he wasn't going to chuck it through the jewelers window.  Long story.  :biggrin: 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Those green polythene strips that you placed inside the top of your car windscreen to prevent sun glare.

Then some people put "Fred & Freda" or whatever name they had in big white letters !

Especially on a lilac coloured Smart car.

• Like 1

Things that I don't see anymore...... It's the kids playing outside.:( Nowadays kids are playing indoors with their tablet, PC and other new games. During my time I used to play from 6 am to 8 pm. Kids before are playing at the creeks, going to forest or do some ghost hunting kinds of stuff. Kids rely on youtube now to widen up their knowledge.... So sad but true...:(:(:(

• Like 2

Here's a window shade that I bought as a souvenir when I left the islands back in 1988.  My favourite one was the one I had on the screen of my Reliant Supervan III in the early 70s. I had rolled the van in snow and ice in Yorkshire and had to hold the split body and windscreen together with duck tape whilst I drove it home to Nottingham. I eventually literally stitched it back together with nylon chord and fibreglassed over the joins.  Once repainted it looked good as new but I bought a green screen shade and using number plate lettering put the words "PLASTIC" and "NASTY" on the screen.  Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of that but maybe someone on here remembers seeing it about town between 1973 and 1975 when I sold it on.

36617433404_a56e95d94c_h.jpg

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, deewelch said:

Things that I don't see anymore...... It's the kids playing outside.:( Nowadays kids are playing indoors with their tablet, PC and other new games.

I don't think it's always the kids fault. With all the 'think of the children' paranoia many are not allowed out of their parents sight, being under virtual house arrest what else can they do?

• Like 1

I read on a different forum yesterday where a member was terrified of his daughter having to catch 2 buses to school when she starts her new school. She had never caught any bus on her own before.

Talk about "Think of the Children" these same parents are wrapping kids up in cotton wool instead of letting them stand on their own 2 feet.

Blokes daughter is 16 years old fgs.

• Like 2

Too possesive,trouble with being like that with kids is when they do find their feet they tend to go off the rails or get caught up in something that could lead to all sorts of problems,kids/children are young adults and need treating as such with guidance from sensible parents/adults not wrapping up in cotton wool

Rog

Over here possessive over protective parents are called 'helicopter parents.'  They are always hovering over the kid.  It's easy to criticize, but when you think of some of the perverts out there these days I suppose you can understand it a bit.  We never worried about such things in my childhood and I don't think I ever heard of any kiddy fiddler incidents.  I think our dads would probably have dealt out justice themselves.

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:55 PM, Compo said:

Here's a photo of some techy bits from my little museum.  The micrometer and vernier calliper are courtesy of our very own Plantfit:

Just looking at the photo reminds me that I have a Moore and Wright wooden engineers cabinet complete with M&W micrometers 0-1" up to 5-6"

Vernier Calipers, Vernier protractor, Inside micrometer, ball gauges, telescopic gauges, dial indicators, thread and feeler gauges, depth micrometer, engineers marking blue and a tin of grinding paste like the one in the picture. I think it was originally for lapping in valve seats on car engines but we used it for getting the towards the final high gloss polish on plastic mould tools.

Is that a Mercer dial indicator in the cardboard box in the bottom right hand of the photo?

Not opened the cabinet in years but I know nothing will be rusted as I still have the instruments wrapped in the VPI paper they were originally packaged in and it seems to last for ever. Not sure what I am going to do with it.

• Like 1

Here it is OZ.  It's a pressure gauge.  what puzzles me about it is that it has the War Department arrow stamped on the connector nut.  It came from the effects of my late father-in-law.  If it is indeed a WD model then he probably stole it whilst he was in the Navy during and after WWII: 

37130643150_bc3ca394d5_h.jpg

• Like 3

Poems like this one:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.