Things you don't see anymore

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame, all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys! - An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime ...
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues, -
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

With the type of soldering I did, "sweating joints" we used rosin powder, when putting a new battery connector on the big LHD's we used underground, it was Bakers fluid to clean the cable, then rosin flux and lots of solder to "wash" the corrosive Bakers Fluid out of it, plus tins the wire. Cable shoes on electric motor terminations done with rosin, heat the cable shoe up, fill with solder, dip the motor connection in rosin then into the shoe full of hot solder. Got severely burned one day terminating a motor lead. Burns between fingers.

I'd say Fry's was used by plumbers only on copper pipes.

• Like 1

Paul says he used Fluxite in the 1950s for soldering joints in radios, and he still has the original tin!

It was used by plumbers way back when, I first used it back in 1962.

Whilst plumbers used it for copper and lead work, it was really for use by tinsmiths, if you ever went to the gas meter production place on Hyson Green they used it by the pound as all domestic meters were soldered.

The brand still exists and is readily available but it is now made by Fernox.

Interesting replies,I have used Bakers fluid too John and them big sticks of Fry's lead solder, remember the fluid drying the skin on my fingers after using it and also the fumes from the hot work stinging my nostrils

Rog

Pulled up between Wickes and Mataland this morning...............thought about a few of the things mentioned on this 'thread''......Air-locks with Rubber Bung,,Fluxite paste,,Sweating joints,,Rosin powder,,shoes full of hot solder,,9ml spanners,,Baking fluid,,Ball Gauges,, and a Vernier calliper ,and wondered if Wickes had any of em.?

Then went in Mataland and bought a nice shirt.................lol.

• Like 2

You are so right NBL...........I'm constantly amazed when blokes don't know their shirt size.........and say ''med'' or large''.........for goodness sake whats that ?

I Know all my clothes sizes...........,whats a medium shirt ?..........medium what collar,chest,?...........you can have a large neck and small chest,........leg length ,Long,medium, short,?.........many shirts,trousers,etc,........are made in Asia.......and it annoys me that they dont say 16in collar or 34 waist etc,

Long live Imperial weights and measures,......5lb bag taters.......2lb Sugar.........QTR Potted meat........1760 yards t' mile......or even 8 furlongs.........8 pints to the Gallon..........instead we get the price per litre.........how tall are you 170 sumat or other........how talls that?............lol.

I'm sure most blokes on here can tell us their clothes sizes..........or can they ?..............start us off someone........

Chest...collar....waist....inside leg....in inches

What red.........you take all the wrapping off inc a box.......then say 'don't fit don't want it ?.......or do you just buy casual shirts that are not wrapped ?