Things you don't see anymore

I take the shirt off the rack & try it on in the fitting room, I'm quite particular I like the sleeves right length, I like my shirts quite fitted slim fit, usually button down, I don't tuck in so I like them to sit halfway off my back pockets & cut around the hip, I don't own many shirts, but I have a obsession with Fred Perry polos, have about 25 some quite rare ones. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Roger, wasn't wise to get Bakers fluid on your skin, it's a pretty strong acid, still available. We used it as it was impossible to clean  the battery cables enough to take solder. Bakers fluid did the job a treat.

All my electronic soldering was and still is done with flux cored solder, tin/lead solder is getting hard to come by now, but a still have a few rolls of it left.

That newer mainly tin solder melts at a higher temperature and has an annoying habit of growing "whiskers" as it ages. The whiskers are tin crystallizing into thin strands of tin, which eventually short everything out!!

NASA and the US military found that one out, there are many photos of "solder whiskers" around the net. All government entities have now swung back to lead/tin solder.

Ben will laugh at the whiskers, but sadly it's a fact and showing up with domestic electronics failing through shorts caused by that metallurgical quirk of nature.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

I'm sure most blokes on here can tell us their clothes sizes..........or can they ?..............start us off someone........

Chest...collar....waist....inside leg....in inches

Alright yo asked forrit!

All numbers in inches.

chest 40

collar 16.5

waist 38

inside leg 32

shoe 12       and yer din't even ask for that.

I 'ad a made to measure suit for me first wedding from Burtons.  Only MTM suit I ever had.  It lasted for years. It shrunk a bit. ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thankyou Loppy........we have the same collar size...........nowt else.......yo big footed beggar ...............lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
19 hours ago, MargieH said:

Paul says he used Fluxite in the 1950s for soldering joints in radios, and he still has the original tin!

Photo please, MargieH!

Ah yes, Fluxite....a brown sticky mess in a tin.  Anyone remember "Tinning" their iron by dipping in fluxite and and solder, then rubbing it on the inside of the tin lid?

• Like 1

Still use Fluxite and tin/lead solder. Tin the tip by a dip in the Fluxite and then a quick pass down my jeans. Drives her barmy. I used to have a little sponge on the iron holder but lost it long ago.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Compo said:

Photo please, MargieH!

Here's the original 60 year old tin + another more modern one he found with it

IMG_3462.jpg

• Like 2

While searching for the Fluxite tin, Paul found a catapult he used to use as a lad - probably more than 60 years ago.  It's still got the leather sling surprisingly

IMG_3464.jpg

• Like 1

The dreaded Milbro, MargieH. I had one of those when I was about 7. Unsupervised and no instruction.

Allotment, greenhouse, small boys, catapult. Two of these items perhaps don't belong with the other two. They didn't down Whitemoor avenue one fine day.

Deep trouble and painful results!

• Upvote 1
On 28/02/2007 at 3:23 PM, katyjay said:

Just remembered, as well as the Betterware man, there was the Cleaneasy man [bet I've spelt that wrong] And Davenports [beer at home means Davenports] and the pop delivery men [Redfearns and Redgates]

You still get the Betterware Man in Jacksdale (one horse town)

I still have my Milbro galley/Gadda/Catapult, Margie.  If you search this topic you should find a photo of it.

On 25/06/2013 at 10:59 PM, Compo said:

Here's a blast from the past. The ultimate boy's toy of the 1960s. the Milbro catapult/gadder/galley (I've had this since about 1964):

IMG_7612.JPG?gl=GB

Here it is Margie...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I see your photo of the Milbro still has the original elastic grips in the handle and the original leather pouch, MargieH.

• 2 weeks later...

in light of the "Flour Weevil" outbreak in the self raising flour tub I decided to make double sure there are none left in the cupboard, (there wasn't) anyroadup I found this little kitchen gadget and I was wondering if anyone knew what it was, the total height is four inches,the diameter is three and a quarter inches and when the top comes off the bowl height is two and a quarter inches, the total weight is  three pounds four ounces,it is made of cast iron and on the botton in the casting is the word "Sandvik", over to you

P1060188.jpg

P1060189.jpg

Rog

nearly forgot to put the pictures on,tut senior moment

I thought someone would come back saying it was for crushing Flour Weevils, heres a picture of me holding it to give some perspective

P1060190.jpg

Rog

Can't see any need for a 'burger press'. and I'd go with the mill idea.

As for 'flour weevils.'  Mrs Col keeps flour, in its original bag, inside a large Tupperware tub.  On one occasion I found the whole tub to be infested with very tiny black insects.  They didn't really look like a typical Weevil and were only maybe 2mm long and 0.5mm wide.  I can't see why such things would just wander into the kitchen and find their way into a sealed tub, so I'm pretty certain they came in on the original flour bags.  Chucked out all the flour, good dose of bleaching around in the cupboard and the tub.  No probs since.  I suppose that it's a bit like headlice, mice etc..  Anybody can get them but most of us are pretty quick to get rid...  :)

Col