Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Matthews Fullers Earth in a flat tin. In the days before central heating, I recall the Matthews tin being placed in front of the fire to soften the ointment which was then rubbed on dry, cracked skin. It worked like magic. Sadly, no longer manufactured.

Andrews LS, is still produced. Got some in the kitchen. I swear by it. 

30 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

Red oil lamps at road works and holes in the pavement.

Therein lies a story......many years ago, back in about 1970, my brother had a go at growing summat as what he shouldn't in the loft.  During this time his wife left him for another man and he decided that the loft gardening wasn't for him anyway so he he threw out everything that should not have been there.  Some days later he had a visit from the bobbies, who had "Had a tip-off from a lady" who said he was growing naughty stuff in the loft.  They asked if they could go up and take a look and of course he said yes.  When they came down they looked disappointed but not downhearted.  "Is there anythng up there that shouldn't be there" they asked.  "No" he replied.  "Then what's this?" they asked as they held out a square red oil lamp of the roadworks style.  He had forgotten that on his stag night he had been carried home by his pals.  They had fixed a lamp from some roadworks to him as a joke and then next day he simply put it out of the way in the loft until such time as he got around to putting it back.  He had then forgotten about it and it was subsequently found by the rozzers when they were looking for illlegal substances.  He was charged and pleaded guilty to being in posession of a council owned road lamp. After hearing his story he was awarded an admonishment by the court and was told not to do it again.  As a result of this he gave up booze forever and has not touched any since.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

People actually working at road-works sites

"Non-specific roadworks" Oz.  One sees them all along the motorways and main roads in UK.  It is a phenomenon that has become very common of late.  Traffic cones for miles but no-one working by them.  It seems to have been designed to frustrate motorists.

Yes, NBL, Fullers Earth is still available but it lacks the healing power of Matthews. It just isn't the same.

It probably was carcinogenic but then so was talcum powder back in the good old days. It contained something akin to asbestos! :blink:

Fullers earth is still used by fly fishermen. Mixed with a bit of washing up liquid it is used to de grease the line to take off the shine and to make it sink. As a matter of interest Milk of Magnesia is one of the finest quality abrasives.

Fullers Earth in powder form has quite good antiseptic properties. I also does a great job of filtering the dye out red diesel though I can't possibly comment on how I know. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We still use the steering wheel lock at the top of the photo.  Paul says he sold one of the others at a car boot last year

• Like 1

Just a thought, I used the steering wheel to pedal lock for years, and could well have ended up having my truck stolen!!

I recently had a thought, I have tilt steering wheel, I should have set it for low before attaching the lock!!  How many others have a tilt steering wheel??

Good to know some of them are still in use,don't know what I'm going to find next in me shed but I'll keep looking

Rog

• Like 1

Not been used for ages,just charging the battery,it should still work, does anyone use these anymore or has everyone gone digital?

P1060313.jpg

Can you still get batteries for them?

Rog

You should be able to get batteries, been amazed at how many styles of batteries are still available, to a google with the make and model number.

• Like 1