Things you don't see anymore

Thanks for the info Phil, we will pay the place a visit in spring, last antique place we visited was the one in Newark a couple of weeks ago.

Compo, the Lancaster flies over our place quite regular in the summer months and every Wednesday and Saturday the one at East Kirkby does taxi runs,as you say, nice to hear four Merlins roaring

Rog

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

At one time, they used to say radio will eventually replace newspaper.  I never encountered anyone bringing their fish supper home in a three valve set so that statement was all conjecture!

4 hours ago, Compo said:

I ahve been to Hemswell a couple of times. On my last visit I was rummaging through the huge car boot section when I heard the distingtive sound of four Merlin engines.  Looking up I saw a Lancaster bomber flying at almost zero feet above the airfild.  It went right over my head and of course - my camera was in the car.

I have an even sadder story to tell about the Lancaster. It was in August 1977 and I was flying solo in a Piper Cherokee from Skegness (Ingoldmells) back to Nottingham. It was a Saturday so I didn't expect an military activity but I gave RAF Conningsby a courtesy call on the VHF before crossing their zone. I was surprised to hear the controller calling back saying "maintain your height and heading, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight have just taken off, they're in your three o'clock". I looked out of the starboard window and there they were, about 300 metres away. We flew in a loose formation for a couple of minutes until they climbed away. Me and the BBMF flying in formation! There were no mobile 'phones with cameras in those days so I just have the fantastic memory of the occasion. I have a similar story about the Red Arrows - but that was on another day! ;)

• Like 2

Road sweeper's like in the old days, I can remember when I was a lad, there used to be two men sweeping the pavement, brushing the muck into the gutter, and a road sweeping lorry following clearing the muck up and cleaning the gullies as he got to each drain. If I remember right, this took place on a Sunday night along St Ann's well road, don't know about other roads. What happens now?

The other day I was digging a hole to plant a tree over the road alongside the former army camp, which has been a pine wood since 1960, when my

spade hit something hard and metallic.  The first photo shows the lump of corrosion that I dug up and the second shows it after some hours worth of cleaning.  The plate is very badly corroded but it can be seen that it is a (now extinct) agricultural equipment manufacturer's plate.  I would like to know more about the "Hay Collector" and what it looks like but I don't suppose I ever shall.

39011972434_09cd78f510_b.jpg

38823004195_890afc32da_b.jpg

• Like 3

You don't see this anymore, not for about five years now since the EU banned it.  Someone, somewhere must have realised that it worked and got to work on it!  Fortunately, I have an old gardening book that contains the formulae for many of the now banned compounds that actually worked, so......

6wki9dDuRAq2okFoFLY58PCNSNoNMPioynhlomP_

Good on ya compo, that's the problem nowadays, what with the EU, HSE, and the good old tree huggers, nothing you buy today is as effective as the stuff from yesteryear! And what you can get, costs a damm site more!

• Like 1

I've just made up a batch of Cheshunt compound, Waddo.  Just enough for this season's sowings.  when you live as far north as I do, you need all the help you can get.  For example: It is not possible to grow potatoes in my district without some form of blight control - it is rampant in the heavy, wet, clay soil.  The only place where they can grown them around me is on teh sandy machair soil around the coastline.  Bordeaux mixture for blight has now been banned by the EU so I will have to make up my own this year.

Affergorrit: My toolkit consisted of: 

1. ELectric drill with rotary wire brush

2. hand wire brush

3. ½" chisel

4. ¼" chisel

5. Bradawl

6. Engineers ball/pein hammer

7. 3.5mm drill bit

8. Large tin of elbow grease

9. Bucketful of patience

• Like 2

'Gelding'  ?  :)

• Like 2

I was just watching the excellent 'A House Through Time' programme on BBC2.  If you haven't watched it you should.  Fascinating on so many levels and might adjust a few people's preconceptions about Liverpool.

However.. what I'm posting about is horses.  Tonight's program focused on the rapid decline in horse drawn transport around 1900.  How many of us recall horse drawn transport in our lifetime's?  My wife's grandfather was a 'Carter' in Liverpool around 1900.  Almost lost a leg when the horse slipped on icy cobbles and the wheel ran back over him.  Never worked again.

For me, in Nottm, first off, I think I've mentioned Gervaise Goddard from Southglade Farm, who used a pony and trap to take his milk to the railway daily.

Old Mr Sanderson.. who had a horse drawn 'veg cart'.  I think he had a yard of some sort down Park Lane.  Must have been late 1950s/early 60s at latest. Maybe Ben recalls.

A couple of old 'rag and bone' men still using horses.. late 50s.

And of course the 'Shippo's' Dray Horses.

Col

The Park estate had for many years a guy with a horse and quite a big cart collecting the leaves and keeping the streets clean.

On 17/01/2018 at 2:15 PM, loppylugs said:

I doubt if the young uns of today would even believe those house prices.  

That's true...

Bought my first house in 1974 for £4,750. 2 bedroom terrace in Netherfield.

Sold it 6 years later for £9,500.

My youngest is starting to house hunt for the first time and the cheap side of things over here starts at more than £160,000!

11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

rapid decline in horse drawn transport around 1900. 

Ever since, rhubarb hasn't tasted the same.

• Like 3

I preferred the old handbrake lever and cable system. I think the current method of a servo motor bringing the brakes on an off means another sophisticated thing to go wrong. As a keen driver I prefer a car to be simple and unsophisticated and not loaded with gadgets. They can be fun though - but like I said  - more things to wrong!