Things you don't see anymore

Plus the fact that when it goes wrong, it will cost a small fortune to put right. Especially now we have "fitters" as opposed to mechanics.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Replace instead of repair ! Ridiculous. I had an intermittent rear indicator problem on my Peugeot 308S whilst on holiday several years ago. It was a loose connection which had shorted something. An old chap in a little garage re soldered it for £10, and I was ok. On returning from holiday, I went to the local Peugeot dealers to get it checked properly. As it was still under warranty, they replaced the complete rear light unit without question. When I went to collect it, the receptionist said that as it was still in warranty, that's saved me £400. Unbelievable. I only wanted a new crimp connector. So a completely good unit was replaced.

That was about six years ago, but again whilst in South Wales last  summer, another intermittent indicator fault cropped up. Although late into the afternoon prior to a Bank Holiday, I again seeked out a local garage. The mechanic re crimped it, checked out all the other lights, replaced a bulb. £10 ! I was dead chuffed and gave him £15. New unit my backside !

• Like 1

WB.  Re house prices.  Those prices are insane.  At the current exchange rate I think a pound is worth around 2 dollars.  A bit of quick mental arithmetic tells me that house on the cheap side would cost around $320,000.

For less than that, around $240,000.      £120,000. You can pick up a nice place on an acre of land here in Ga.  Other places in the US such as California are a lot more expensive, but I don't want to live there anyway.  I guess what we save on housing we spend on health insurance.  :rolleyes:

incidentally, I grew up in one of those terraced houses in Netherfield.  Hodgkinson Street.  I think my parents paid about 8 bob a week rent for it in the 50s.  Times sure have changed.  I don't know how folks get a start these days.

I was talking to NBL at the meeting and he was telling me that for his car, or that of someone he knows (can't remember),  a replacement wing mirror was £600.

Loppy. Today's exchange rate is $1.38 to the £

• Like 1

Thanks for the exchange rate Dave.  I guess I'm a bit out of date.  I heard the dollar was down a bit just lately but did not realize it was that much.  There is no doubt though that you get a lot more house and land for the money here.

The economic state of the country troubles me.  I am afraid we are going to hit the wall before too long economically.  That will not be pretty. :(

On 17/01/2018 at 1:23 PM, Waddo said:

Mobile phones that only make phone call's.

Oh yes you do - my mobile phone IS one! :)

On 19/01/2018 at 2:47 PM, loppylugs said:

Thanks for the exchange rate Dave.  I guess I'm a bit out of date.  I heard the dollar was down a bit just lately but did not realize it was that much.  There is no doubt though that you get a lot more house and land for the money here.

The economic state of the country troubles me.  I am afraid we are going to hit the wall before too long economically.  That will not be pretty. :(

You'll be in good company Loppy.. the same is due here..  :)

• Like 1
On 19/01/2018 at 2:29 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

Bestwood Park estate ex 3 bed council house about £120k to bay about £550 a month to rent.

In Glasgow last weekend my room looked out over a rather drab and plain looking block of hi-rise flats dating from around the 1990s..ish.  I commented to SWMBO that I wouldn't fancy living in one of those .  Later that evening we passed a property shop and in the window was an advert for a flat rental in that very same block at "£1595 per month"! Worra swizz!!!

The Thudersley "Invacar" three wheeler.  Made at a plant in Thundersley in Essex - or so I believe.  There was a chap worked at Plessey Beeston in the

70s who claimed to have done 90Mph in one....bleddy fibber!

• Like 1

Ok, so who used one of these to record Pick of the Pops via a microphone?  Everyone would have to be deathly quiet whilst recording and one fervently hoped that the DJ did not speak over the beginning or end of the record.  Of course they always did - I once read somewhere that it was to prevent people from pirating the records but I don't know if that is true or not.

39835067051_5a3ef37c8a_b.jpg

I was Just thinking. about that Ian.

I suppose Hardy smoked all of Nelsons cigarettes.

They ran out of cheap nuts.

The Fosdykes moved.

Trunk calls went the way of the pay phone 

The sun seems a bit scarce in these days so it's now just Tang Tea.

opus 22 is now up to opus 30.

somebody ate all the dates!

Sorry!  I couldn't resist it.  :biggrin:

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Compo said:

The cockle man in nottm pubs.....:wacko:

I think modern hygiene regulations put paid to that. Mind you, I used to enjoy the Friday night visits by the Sally Ann and the cockle man. Always bought mussels, prawns and cockles from him.

I also recall some fella coming round with a big basket of filled cobs - beef, ham, cheese and so on. He had bottles of sauce and mustard with him - you could help yourself. Was that in Nottm or was it Kent? It was in the days before pubs sold food as a norm. (Thinking about it, though, if it was Kent, they would have been rolls, not cobs).

1 hour ago, Compo said:

The cockle man in nottm pubs.....:wacko:

Dave the Cockle Man is still around as far as I know.  I’ve seen him in recent months, although he’s not a well man. 

1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

Dave the Cockle Man is still around as far as I know.  I’ve seen him in recent months, although he’s not a well man. 

He was mugged for his takings a couple of months ago, he’s 70.

While he was in hospital for damaged ribs he was found to have cancer. I believe he’s out now.