Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

On 22/01/2018 at 4:34 PM, catfan said:

I remember seeing these cars on a daily basis years ago, two stroke engine & very unstable on the road. Nowadays disabled people can pick & choose what car they want !

index.jpg

Back in the 1960s my Brother in Law's mate had one of those.  His name was Mick and he was from 'Ucknal'.  My B in L had his 'Stag' do in some place in 'Ucknal' and I was there.  After the 'Do', Mick drove BinL and me back to Bestwood. How 3 of us got in that thing I don't know.. but we did...  :)

Col

• Like 1
14 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Dave the Cockle Man is still around as far as I know.  I’ve seen him in recent months, although he’s not a well man. 

There must have been a number of these cockle men. I well remember that many pubs had a visit on a Friday and it can't have been the same person at all of them. (This is memory of over 40 years ago). I always wondered what they did the rest of the week.

Years ago my next door neighbour sold sea food around pubs at the weekend, by all accounts it was very good money to be made (commission only) but well worth the effort. During the week he worked in a bookmakers. Not everyone wanted to work at the weekend after working all week doing their regular job.

17 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Dave the Cockle Man is still around as far as I know

Last night he was propping the window up, minus his basket of that chicken takeaway shop at the bottom of Hurts Yard I would say he'd had a few, I did see him being helped to stand outside The Dragon a few weeks ago.

I saw 'The Cockle Man' on my last visit to Nottingham about five years ago.  I ahd a chat with him iin the Tip. He was still selling cockles at that time but was happy to talk about the 1960s with me.

Thanks for the gen, Brew.

I remember as a primary school child, my dad would not entertain sliced bread at all.  My classmates were all taking Wonderloaf or Mother's Pride to school wrapped in the waxy paper from  a used loaf whilst I had to take my home-cut bread in a paper bag.  It was embarrassing not to have the same as my peers so I can see how it is the same for kids today.  Kids who do not have the latest this-or-that and are made fun of by their peers.  It is a pressure applied by advertisers and was as valid then as it is today - albeit on a different scale of cost.

Of course the sliced loaf would never have got anywhere without the development of high-speed

bread making offered by the Chorleywood process https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorleywood_bread_process

This alone is responsible for the development and success of the dreadful plastic foam like consistency of the sliced loaf - and many other mass-produced breads of that era. It was also responsible for the demise of many of the small in-shop bakeries - a great, great loss.

Fortunately, the Chorleywood process is gradually regaining its correct place in the field of gastronomy* and, as I noticed on my Christmas visit, there seem to be many small artisan bakeries springing up all over the place baking REAL bread again - I hope that applies in Nottingham as well.

How pleased I am not to have had to put up with much of it

*Nowhere

• Like 1

My jukebox took a dislike to Eddie Cochran this morning and chomped up his record. (Sitting on the Balcony 1957 & Somethin' Else 1959). Box now fixed but record non too healthy - I certainly won't see this anymore :(

28187663749_9ff20bc5da_h.jpg

• Like 1

Walking canes. I don't mean walking sticks, I mean those elegant slim brass or silver knobbed things that were more of a dress code.

My Granddad always had his when out for a walk. Went well with the pocket watch and chain. I was given his cane by a cousin recently and will use it when walking the streets of my childhood in Nottingham next month with my Granddaughter.. 

11 hours ago, loppylugs said:

That Juke box of yours must be a right demolition machine.

Chunky old fashioned cast alloy and steel mechanism - none of yer fairy plastic stuff like modern ones!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Gannex coats.

There's a pub in a Liverpool suburb called "The Pipe and Gannex" After Harold Wilson - the sign has his picture on it. I assume it was his constituency at one time.

23 minutes ago, Compo said:

There's a pub in a Liverpool suburb called "The Pipe and Gannex" After Harold Wilson - the sign has his picture on it. I assume it was his constituency at one time.

His constituency was Liverpool Huyton. My wife lived there briefly when she was at college. 

• Like 1

I had a Gannex coat at about the same time that Harold Wilson was in power. Mine was different, though. The characteristic patterning shown by Wilson's garment formed the lining of mine, the outer being a brown mottled tweed. It did have the "beehive" cut, which really showed its pedigree.

Regarding a pipe, I smoked one on and off for a time but never really got on with it. Too much trouble, firstly keeping it alight plus all the mess and bother of keeping it usable (cleaning, de-tarring and such). It may also have been one of the things that stopped me smoking, which I did in 1983.

• Like 1

My last pipe smoking friend died about 20 years ago. Not from pipe smoking but from old age! He was a pilot in the war. It was always interesting to watch him going through the lighting up ritual which usually took some time to achieve full ignition. It seems to be a habit that has all but died out now.

Wilson's Huyton constituency included Knowsley Village, where there was a pub called 'The Pipe and Gannex'.  I'm not sure if it is still open but I pass through the village fairly frequently and will make a point of checking next time.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sugar+Ln,+Knowsley,+Prescot+L34+0EW/@53.4500857,-2.8516219,121m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487b18d13fccf689:0xff646e2475f47d0e!8m2!3d53.4500107!4d-2.8512259