Things you don't see anymore

Comedians who are actually funny without feeling the need to pepper their act with every other word beginning with an "f" or, worse, a "c".

I'm as broadminded as anyone but, is this gross overuse of profanity really necessary to get the punchline across?

It doesn't affect me very much, living where I do but seeing British TV over Christmas, and very occasionally watching via satellite or online here, it does make me concerned about the vocabulary of future generations.

If I had used words like that in front of my parents, I would most likely still be feeling the pain from the leathering I would have received.

• Like 3
  • Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Jonab,my Dad had a similar coat from Steeples.

My Mother didn't like it, were they long?..she called one of his coats a "bum freezer". Wasn't he fond of the Scilly Isles?

Him & Ted made some comedians very rich,

My Gannex was not what could be described as long but it wasn't "mini" either. It did look a bit like a round beehive when being worn with arms, legs and head poking out of an apparently rigid structure.

Thinking back, it was a complete design failure. How could I have ever worn it?

7 hours ago, Brew said:

Hmm pipes. can't remeber the last time I saw someone smoking one..

Chulla smokes one.

19 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

Just for you PP my rather nice gentleman's cane with silver bits and bobs...............it is a bit special though you wouldn't want to get walking round town with this.:wacko:

Pointy_stick.jpg

Ian - can I borrow it for the Hyson Green bit of my walk?

Colin , Ian is our ROI correspondent smile2

Anyway its a bit too gentile for Hyson Green, for that place you want a ......................1909 American Bolo

M1909_Bolo.jpg

Like this one, given to my father from a man returning from the trenches in 1918, much sturdier in a tight corner....

Ian I have a small collection of bladed weapons, I have done some research on this one starting from what my dad told me.

He was given it in 1919 by an English soldier (an Arnold man) who brought it back with him when he returned from France. It is a 1909 pattern Bolo fighting knife manufactured in 1917 by the Plumb company for the American army, it has an ID number so I was able to find out it was sent to France late in 1917. There unfortunately there the trail stops, so how it transferred from American to English hands I know not but there must be a story there somewhere.

As can be seen the blade is some 13" long and about 3/16ths thick, the blade carries on through the hilt which is also fitted with a brass pommel, ideal for cracking skulls. A heavy piece of kit, but very well balanced it is very usable, I certainly wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of a man who had it in his hand.

• Like 1
On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:14 PM, Chulla said:

I was talking to NBL at the meeting and he was telling me that for his car, or that of someone he knows (can't remember),  a replacement wing mirror was £600.

Further top this topic. My car had its MOT yesterday, and talking with the garage man I told him about NBL's £600 wing mirror for his Renault van.

He was not surprised and told me he had recently had a Citroen in for repair. It was one where the engine stops when the car stops to prevent pollution. In this case it need a new alternator and battery. Price of the two - wait for it - £3000. Whoever buys a French car needs an IQ test.

Edit. I had them change the cam belt as it was the original one from 14 years ago. As it happened the belt was part of a water-pump kit, so had to have that as well. Cost £85. My car is a Rover 45.

I've had a Citroen, and a couple of Peugeots, and I don't think they're any better or worse than most other makes. Actually, I've had in the past, most bad luck with Fords and Vauxhalls. It's the luck of the draw really I suppose.

I would’t buy a French car on principal - but that’s purely prejudice!:biggrin:

Regarding the auto stop/start, I believe that’s common on most new vehicles now; we’ve certainly  got it on our cars. It’s designed to be a fuel saving measure and if your’re stopped for a short time it’s not a problem. However, when you’re in a slow moving queue it’s a pain to have the engine stopping and starting all the time and mechanically and electrically it must take a toll on the relevant systems. There is an option to switch it off which is what I always do unless stopped for some time and then, once the accelator is pressed it restarts. It always defaults to stop/start once the ignition has been turned off. The fancy electronic systems and gizmos on modern cars are a total pain in the backside and mean more things to wrong which cannot be simply fixed but have to be replaced in their entirety.

• Like 2

DJ360 It looks like your link shows trhe pub I was thinking about.  I last passed through there back in 1990.

40 minutes ago, Chulla said:

Further top this topic. My car had its MOT yesterday, and talking with the garage man I told him about NBL's £600 wing mirror for his Renault van.

He was not surprised and told me he had recently had a Citroen in for repair. It was one where the engine stops when the car stops to prevent pollution. In this case it need a new alternator and battery. Price of the two - wait for it - £3000. Whoever buys a French car needs an IQ test.

Edit. I had them change the cam belt as it was the original one from 14 years ago. As it happened the belt was part of a water-pump kit, so had to have that as well. Cost £85. My car is a Rover 45.

You’ve been living on borrowed time. That cam belt should be changed every 5 years or 60,000 miles.:(

6 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

You’ve been living on borrowed time. That cam belt should be changed every 5 years or 60,000 miles.:(

I know, Phil, but car has only done 37,000 miles. Must be the great British workmanship that made its cam belt lasted that long.:) I just wonder what the cost of that replacement would have been if it had been a Citroen.  

My daughter is the same with her Ford KA mk2, 09 reg still on the original belt, I'm waiting for the inevitable phone call any time now. I have repeatedly warned her about such silliness.

While looking in my old (104 years old) tool catalogue for an answer to Compo's tool question I came across these, three speed electric hand held drill and a line shaft driven lathe

P1060418.jpg

P1060419.jpg

plenty more tools pictures in anyone interested

Rog

• Like 4

SWMBO likes to keep this by her bedside for use after I have been on the bitter and beans :crazy:39835840161_154849548e_b.jpg

• Like 4