Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

My grandfather had a very ornate brass bed, similar to the one in Catfan's photo. My mother and her siblings were all born in that bed. It had a metal mesh base and a flock mattress! Wish I still had the bed. It fascinated me as a child!

No idea what the sign is, Ian.  Took the photo in a museum a few weeks ago.  It was in a WWII cabinet so it must be something like and advert for the Women's Land Army or similar.

• Upvote 1

What were the ones with equal sized wheels, they made great trolleys (soap carts)the big wheels like above always tended to buckle if you cornered too hard.

I've noticed traditional prams making a comeback lately. They look much nicer than these buggy type contraptions. My mother walked miles with both my sister and I in our coach built pram. Up and down Gregory Boulevard, into town. She was very slim and fit due to all the exercise!

• Like 1
On 06/02/2018 at 0:57 PM, Waddo said:

What were the ones with equal sized wheels

Swan?  Here's a couple of Swan prams made with trolley wheels :)

26259643358_d85003b02e_b.jpg

26259656808_252d8e6f2d_m.jpg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, loppylugs said:

That small photo of a pram looks like it was taken on an American or Canadian front porch rather than a British house.

Could equally be an Australian home, weatherboard construction is still quite popular here. Given the large overhang of the eaves it is more likely to be from warmer climes than the UK

• Like 2

Slightly off-topic but, in my cart/trolley making days, I had acquired a set of wheels, just needed the box to go on top. Off I go to the local Co-op (the one that was on the corner of the High St and Station Rd, Hucknall) and asked the girl behind the counter if they had any orange boxes (the carts being known then as orange box carts).

"No" was her reply "but we've got the ordinary brown ones."

• Like 4
6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

victory V's,

Victory V's were banned in the 1970's (ish) as they contained a very tiny amount of chloroform. This was present to give the characteristic "kick" in the flavour of the lozenge and without it, they became just ordinary liquorice sweets and they were no longer interesting.

Several other things contained chloroform in those days such as Throaties and Fisherman's Friends and it was also used as a sweetening agent in a number of brands of toothpaste.

I know this because I was working on toothpaste flavours at the time.

The amount of chloroform necessary to be noticeable was extremely small but, some clever clogs Eurocrat in Brussels must have read somewhere that chloroform was a carcinogen (most likely only in quantities sufficient to drown in) and it was duly banned.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

Gees Linctus..made by Boots...certain folk were swagging bottles of the stuff.

Hunto bus sheds -full of brown bottles!* taken off the shelves.

In my childhood, chemists were allowed to make their own cough linctus...bet that wouldn't be permitted nowadays! Mr Hobson, MPS, on Alfreton Road made the stuff I was given when I got the inevitable bronchial cough every winter. Similarly, there was a chemist on Radford Road, near to Godber, the butcher who made his own linctus. People queued up for it! Now they just flog what theyre told to! They call it progress!

• Like 2

The " Banana flavoured ice cream with a chunk of toffee inside" reminded me of Palm Toffee: slabs of very chewy toffee (tuffy) usually presented as a sandwich with a different flavour in the middle layer. My favourite was banana with a caramel outer. I think I had this before I'd ever seen a real banana.

Choc Stix, each the length of the sweet jat they were in, 3d each.

Black Jacks (there was a fruit equivalent but I can't remember what they were called). 4 for a penny.

Don't remember the price of Palm Toffee.

Edit - I think the fruit equivalent of Black Jacks was called Fruit Salad.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, jonab said:

Several other things contained chloroform in those days such as Throaties and Fisherman's Friends

I always thought that sucking a  fisherman's friend was a bit dodgey!!.

44 minutes ago, jonab said:

there was a fruit equivalent but I can't remember what they were called). 4 for a penny.

They were called, fruit salad.