Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Lisa, there are still some silly people who smoke outside the main hospital buildings (Addenbrookes) in Cambridge.  There are notices telling people not to smoke but it doesn't seem to make much difference.   There are so many entrances/exits on this vast site that  they can't all be 'policed' I suppose.   And it's not just patients, some of the staff can be seen puffing away as well.   They'll be puffing even more when they get COPD!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, radfordred said:

You don't see old "KILROY WAS HERE" anymore? 

I read somewhere a few years ago that the "Kilroy" drawing was an upside down drawing of some electrical/electronic component,don't know haw true the story was but sounds feasable given it was drawn during wartime,secrets and all that

Rog

Margie,I was visiting a friend in Lincoln county hospital last week and like you said smokers right outside the main entrance some of them even leaning on the "No Smoking" notices, a few years ago when I was in the same hospital all I was looking forward to when I was allowed to go home was having a big gulp of fresh air when I came out, what a shock when I gulped in a load of cigarette smoke,

Rog

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You could be right about the electronic symbol, Rog.  The drawing for a valve in a circuit is a circle with the filament at the bottom  looking a bit like a down turned mouth.  Other features like grids, cathodes etc. are drawn above the filament with the anode at the top. An artist with a bit of imagination could easily make the Kilroy face.  I guess somebody killed Roy though because I haven't seen him for years. :)

You`ll find the dying art smoking still exist outside B floor at QMC some still puffing while attached to drips! When they clamped down they used to sit in the bus sheds on Derby Road in their jimjams! Dirty smelly stinky b4stards!    

• Like 1

Laying in bed in the Trent Cardiac Center recovering from a heart attack  I remembered the bloke in the next bed who also recovering as well discharging himself because he wanted a smoke that bad, he couldn't understand why the staff wouldn't let him nip outside.

• Like 4

Not so sure about vaping either. I saw one chap stood at a bus stop in Papplewick last week vaping for all he was worth, its a wonder the fog horn in Skegness wasn't triggered. Your lungs were given to you to breath fresh air, not that muck. As my mates young daughter descibes it " it looks as if they are sucking a chimney".

• Like 1
1 hour ago, catfan said:

Laying in bed in the Trent Cardiac Center recovering from a heart attack  I remembered the bloke in the next bed who also recovering as well discharging himself because he wanted a smoke that bad, he couldn't understand why the staff wouldn't let him nip outside.

You would think an heart attack would make them see sense. My grandad had an heart attack aged 48 and has not had a cigarette since, he's now 73.

• Like 2

Precisely. If I pinpointed every piece of bad grammar on here, I'd be overworked !

43 minutes ago, Rob.L said:

And punctuation?

Yes Rob, but sometimes predictive text on iPads lets us down if we don’t check before we post! 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Good grammar

11 hours ago, catfan said:

Grammar Police !

10 hours ago, Rob.L said:

And punctuation?

There is help you can get with this:

https://www.grammarly.com/

It's free but the free version nags a bit for you to get the paid-for version but it's not too bad.

17 minutes ago, catfan said:

Let it be also never be forgotten of the numerous premature deaths associated with tobacco smoking either.

Doubtless, that is true and please don't think that I am advocating the habit but, it remains true that 20th Century Nottingham was built on tobacco, bikes, drugs, knitted stuff and lace.